Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Difference in adding extract all at beginning or adding some near the end?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
orangeryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Yes, in general. You can still do the two pots, and add 1/2 the extract late near the end of the boil, and have a finished beer that will have a less "cooked extract" taste to it.
Have to give it a try next time. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeryno View Post
Is adding the extract late going to give better flavor then using 2 pots?
Thanks
I'd say 'yes'. Lately, with my extract beers, I've been adding any and all LME at flameout. (DME still goes in at the beginning if it's in the recipe.)
I find that not only do I get a slightly lighter (in color) beer, but I seem to get better and more consistent attenuation. The flavor is also improved, as none of the LME gets cooked or caramelizes. I've done half a dozen or so all LME batches like this, with zero extract added until after the boil, and they've been some of the better extract beers I've made.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Using two pots isn't going to add anything to your beer, but your own ability to boil more at once.

You will not caramelize the extract as much, and that will give you a bit lighter color, and a less extract-ey twang in the beer from cooking down in partial boils.. Past that, "better" flavor will be subjective. A less sweet, caramel taste in your beer is better in certain cases, and others it might not matter as much.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
orangeryno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY
Using two pots isn't going to add anything to your beer, but your own ability to boil more at once.

You will not caramelize the extract as much, and that will give you a bit lighter color, and a less extract-ey twang in the beer from cooking down in partial boils.. Past that, "better" flavor will be subjective. A less sweet, caramel taste in your beer is better in certain cases, and others it might not matter as much.
So I was using 2 pots mainly because I thought the more water I boiled with extract and grains the more flavorful the beer would be overall. Is this not these case?
Thanks

Old 07-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeryno View Post
So I was using 2 pots mainly because I thought the more water I boiled with extract and grains the more flavorful the beer would be overall. Is this not these case?
Thanks
I could be wrong, but most of the time I've heard of people using two pots to boil in, is because their pots aren't big enough to get a proper boil in, or don't have the BTU capacity to do a full boil in one pot.

You are right that full boils are better than partial, as mentioned before, that there is more diluted wort during the boil, and not as concentrated, hence the less chance of it getting darker and caramelizing.

You won't extract any more flavor with your method than you would doing it any other way, the flavor is already there with the extract anyways.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The late addition of malt is for a few reasons, mainly it changes your hops utilization. If you add all your extract at the beginning your hops will be utilized less and your beer will be less bitter. Also your brew will be darker in color if you add the extract in the beginning due to caramelizing of the sugar. As you get more into brewing and start plugging your recipes into programs like beersmith you will start to notice what difference it makes to your brew when you add early vs late.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
FATC1TY
Recipes 

I brewed today, used my iBrewmaster on my phone, worked pretty well at timing it out and calculating things for me after I input my recipe

I used DME, and put 2#'s in the beginning after I had steeped some grains in my kettle. Added the other 3#'s right at flameout while it was still boiling, and hot, and mixed it all in really well right before I turned the chiller on.

Quick Reply