Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Difference in adding extract all at beginning or adding some near the end?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default Difference in adding extract all at beginning or adding some near the end?

I am a new brewer and have a ton of questions , but just will ask one here.

I see recipies that call for adding all of the extract at the beginning of the boil, and some that call for adding a portion near the end (usually with about 10minutes to go).

What does this do to the taste of the beer? Or does it do anything else?

Just trying to learn as much as possible.

First brew is still in fermenting. I hate the waiting..........

I know RDWHAHB but I don't have any Home brew yet. I guess the Flying Fish Belgian Style Dubbel thatbI am drinking will have to work....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I believe late addition mostly keeps the color lighter, but it also prevents a caramel flavor.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
ruinsx
Recipes 

Completely agree w/ suds. I've been brewing mini-mash w/ liquid extract for a little over a year now and i've tried a pale ale adding all the extract as the recipe stated (at the beginning) and then tried another pale ale adding like 15-20% at the beginning and the rest towards the end of the boil. It really did result in a lighter color of the final beer. According to the wizards at my local home brew store, adding the sugar late in the boil keeps it from darkening/caramelizing as much.

“Drink today, and drown all sorrow; You shall perhaps not do it tomorrow; Best, while you have it, use your breath; There is no drinking after death”
- Ben Jonson

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
downinit
Recipes 

Adding extract late in the boil also increases hop utilization, which means you can use a little less hops for bittering your brew.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

There's nothing wrong with the "old" way of adding the extract at the beginning. But many people over the years discovered that adding the bulk of the extract at or near the end of the boil found that the beer was a little more to their liking. Mostly, it's cosmetic, as boiling the extract darkens it. But there are some flavor differences, too, like less maillard reactions. That means less of an "extract-y" taste to me.

The other thing to consider is that this is most effective in partial boils. That is, when you boil only maybe 2-3 gallons of the wort, and then dilute with water to 5 gallons. That's because adding all of the extract at the beginning causes a more concentrated boil in 2-3 gallons that if you were doing all 5 gallons at once. That causes even more darkening and maillard reactions.

If you're doing a batch where you're starting with 6 gallons, and boiling it, just like for an all-grain batch, there may not be as much benefit to adding the extract late in the boil.

I've added the extract as late at flame out for LME, with good results. But sometimes that makes other people a bit nervous about sanitation, so they add it it earlier, like with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Thanks for the replies.

I am not so concerned with color. Hop utilizaton is good. mmmmm I love a good hoppy beer. Maybe I will try adding some of the extract later in my next brew,since I am doing partial boils.

Yooper I love your avatar...

Last edited by beergolf; 01-12-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: update

Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
fatmoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
Adding extract late in the boil also increases hop utilization, which means you can use a little less hops for bittering your brew.
I do recall reading a post that indicated this was in fact not the case. There's been a bit of conventional wisdom that the gravity of your wort impacts the utilization rate of your hops but (IIRC) Jamal and company did some experiments that indicated this was the case. I'll have to see if I can find that post again.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Do it just like it was your recipe. I have only made one fruit beer and added the fruit (in the form of juice) to the secondary. So I say go for it. I am about to doctor a Brewers Best kit I was given as a gift.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
orangeryno
Recipes 

New to brewing I have been using multiple pots to get close to a 4g boil. And then add the other gallon to help chill. Is adding the extract late going to give better flavor then using 2 pots?
Thanks

Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeryno View Post
New to brewing I have been using multiple pots to get close to a 4g boil. And then add the other gallon to help chill. Is adding the extract late going to give better flavor then using 2 pots?
Thanks
Yes, in general. You can still do the two pots, and add 1/2 the extract late near the end of the boil, and have a finished beer that will have a less "cooked extract" taste to it.

Quick Reply