Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Didn't use rubber stopper

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
kelkashowz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I still cannot picture what was used.

OP says glass on glass contact? Airlock and bung? No rubber stopper. And that the airlock was used by itself? Without using a drilled stopper/bung my airlocks would just drop into the wort through the neck of my Better Bottles.

If the opening was covered so that dust etc could not fall into the wort your beer will be fine. There is enough co2 produced to stop any o2 from oxidizing the beer and keep microbes out.
My airlock was able to sit just inside the top of the glass carboy, so there was a seal, just not airtight such as what I would have had if I used the rubber stopper. I will add a picture if possible in a future post so people can see what I mean. Essentially, the opening in the carboy that I have is small enough that the airlock didn't fall into the carboy, but large enough so that it could sit just on the inside lip of the top of it.

I did crack one beer from this batch the other day (3 days in) to see if my batch was messed up, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with how good it tasted that early into being bottled!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
dzlater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I've been trying to picture, what you did, and I think I get it now.
A 3 piece airlock sitting on top of the carboy?
So even though it wasn't sealed the carboy opening was still covered by the airlock?
I think you'll be fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply