*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Didn't stir priming sugar... pour back and rebottle or hope for the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
matts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Didn't stir priming sugar... pour back and rebottle or hope for the best?

I read some posts that said the sugar would get stirred in while siphoning into the bucket. Tasted the last 8 oz of the bucket and it was way too sweet. I know this can be a recipe for bottle bombs.

So the question is: do I pour all the bottles back, rebottle and deal with that huge amount of oxidization? Or should I just hope that it was reasonably mixed in to most of the bottles with one or two bottle bombs?

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks,
Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as your beer was done fermenting, you should be fine. Bottle bombs usually happen when people have an infection or bottle too early. Although your bottles will be unevenly carbonated, it will be hard to tell the difference in most of them. I didn't stir my priming sugar for the first year I was brewing, and never had a problem.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
johnnyspade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you sure the fermentation was finished? Perhaps the wort was sweet because it wasn't done yet? Did you just add the sugar to the bucket dry or did you mix up a solution?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyspade View Post
Are you sure the fermentation was finished? Perhaps the wort was sweet because it wasn't done yet? Did you just add the sugar to the bucket dry or did you mix up a solution?
Thanks for your quick responses. I didn't measure original and final gravity, but it was in the primary for 3 weeks and had no airlock activity (I know that's not a true indicator).

I added 2 cups of water and DME that had been boiled for 20 mins.

Edit: 8 oz DME, 5 gal batch

Old 05-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
As long as your beer was done fermenting, you should be fine. Bottle bombs usually happen when people have an infection or bottle too early. Although your bottles will be unevenly carbonated, it will be hard to tell the difference in most of them. I didn't stir my priming sugar for the first year I was brewing, and never had a problem.
Thanks, this makes me feel better. I was really close to dumping them all back in the bucket. I'll still take precautions though.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Did you add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket before or after the beer? If before, your fine. If after, hope for the best! But in no way would I decant, clean and resanitize everything on a hunch.
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Did you add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket before or after the beer? If before, your fine. If after, hope for the best! But in no way would I decant, clean and resanitize everything on a hunch.
Cheers
Jay
Thanks Jay, it was before the beer.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You're probably fine. The swirling of the racking beer mixed the sugar. Probably the reason you are tasting sweetness is the malt character of the beer, which I've found tends to be more pronounced before the beer is carbonated.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There was about an ounce of liquid in the bottom of the bottling bucket that was syrupy and tasted like DME. I am pretty sure there will varying carbonation, but we'll see. Will definitely stir next time.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
vitrael
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts View Post
I read some posts that said the sugar would get stirred in while siphoning into the bucket. Tasted the last 8 oz of the bucket and it was way too sweet. I know this can be a recipe for bottle bombs.

So the question is: do I pour all the bottles back, rebottle and deal with that huge amount of oxidization? Or should I just hope that it was reasonably mixed in to most of the bottles with one or two bottle bombs?

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks,
Matt
Should be fine, if a little unevenly carbed.

I recommend from now on that you boil the priming sugar in a 2-4 cups of water and pour that into your bottling bucket, then rack from your fermenter directly into the priming solution. This sanitizes the sugar, mixes the solution evenly and minimizes aeration of your wort.

Quick Reply