Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did not do a starter on a O.G. 1.062

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
AdvGroo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycount View Post
FWIW though, i really suggest making a starter in that range. It will prevent off flavors, help attenuation, and accelerate the aging process.

It'll still make beer without the starter but maybe not as good as it could be or as quickly

What range is a basic cut off for doing a starter? Generally as a rule just do them anyway, even if on a lower OG Recipe. I like the idea of a higher Yeast count. Cannot hurt right?

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems" ~ Homer J. Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

I always do a starter with liquid yeast. I always hydrate dry yeast. This is true except for the first few batches I did and 1 vial of yeast 'can' handle 1.06 without any real problems.

RDWHAHB and do a starter next time if you can

Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
TzeentchPlayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to yeast, but also consider how much of your wort is fermentable. I brewed the AHS Pumpkin Ale with some lactose and maltodextrin. This brought the OG up to 1.063 from the recipe's 1.052, but the 11 points were mostly unfermentable.

I'm not sure if non-fermentables stresses yeast or not, but my wort really only had 52 points of potential fermentables, and it finished in a few days.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Give it a few days. 1.060 is a decently sized beer but nothing I would say you couldn't have success without a starter.

If after a few days you're not seeing the airlock bubbling and the SG has not changed then you know the yeast just isn't doing what it should and you need to prep a starter and re-pitch.

As stated, under-pitching can cause off-flavors but as long as it eventually gets going the end product will still be beer.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

at this point i'd be more concerned about getting the temp down

Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #16
AdvGroo
Recipes 

Temps are fine at 68 at the moment. My concern was not that it would not kick off, but if it would have enough to ferment to my target FG by not having done the starter. It finally did kick off yesterday and is going strong. I will see in a couple weeks what I end up with. Thanks for the reply's is always appreciated.

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems" ~ Homer J. Simpson

Quick Reply