Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did my first brew session lastnight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
EricK The Red
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Did my first brew session lastnight

I brewed a PG IPA kit from Brewer's Best and had a great time with it. My O.G. after cooling to approxamately 75F was only 1.042 but I had a tough time reading it in the bucket. I followed the recipie exactly, and the wort tasted darn good once chilled! I also used city tap water for my make-up water which I don't think I should have done. It was very well aireated coming out of the faucet. Could the water / aireation have contributed to my low O.G.?

I'd really like a wort chiller, and a sight glass for my hydrometer. Wish me luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

If it is an extract kit & you used the correct amount of water, the only possibility is poor mixing. Since all of the extract is actually in the fermenter, you'll get the correct ABV.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

72 if im correct is not the standard temp for an accurate hydrometer reading. I believe mine is 60 and you add something to the order of .002 to every 10 degrees above 60.

On tap: NOTHING

Quick Reply