Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I screw up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
mjn12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So you wouldn't even recommend touching it if there are no signs of fermentation by the end of the week? Not even take a gravity reading before I leave?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn12 View Post
So you wouldn't even recommend touching it if there are no signs of fermentation by the end of the week? Not even take a gravity reading before I leave?
Go to your LHBS, and buy two packages of Nottingham or Safale US-05 dry yeast, and put them in your refrigerator.

If at 72 hours after pitching, there are no signs of activity, then visually evaluate it and take a gravity reading. If it's fermenting, let it be. If you gravity hasn't changed, pitch the dry yeast, attach a blowoff tube, and go on your trip.

It's always a good idea to have some dry yeast on hand, but I'd really be pretty surprised if you weren't getting something going by then. A few hours at room temperature shouldn't have hurt the liquid yeast.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
mjn12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That sounds a lot like what I was going to do - except I was going to go and get another vial of the white labs california ale yeast that they sold me and do a starter (today or tomorrow) and if an SG reading weds evening showed not changes just pitch the starter. Worst case (assuming the wort isn't hosed for some insane reason) I wasted the starter and don't need it, best case the starter kicks it in the butt and I get beer. Unless theres some reason not to repitch with a starter...

Why do I have the feeling the beer gods are going to teach me a lesson about worrying and I'll get home to see kraussen flowing out of the airlock and all over the carpet.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I moved the beer out of my much cooler room (64-68) into the warmer living room (68-72) to at least help everything get started this morning.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Don't waste that liquid yeast, man. Patience, it will be fine. Buy another bucket and brew up another batch. That will distract you.

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn12 View Post

Why do I have the feeling the beer gods are going to teach me a lesson about worrying and I'll get home to see kraussen flowing out of the airlock and all over the carpet.
Because that is the case in 99% of n00b created "is my beer ruined threads?" on here. What you have is a mental illness we call n00bitus...

You didn't happen to notice this sticky BEFORE you decided to start the thread did you? It might have alleviated your worries...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/thin...s-aside-74520/

of course this one would have addressed the same issue...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...s-start-43635/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #16
mjn12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know, you read through both of those and you still don't feel good enough. It takes the personal touch of revvy telling you to shut up and be patient to really drive the point home.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

So shut up and be patient already...

Actually even better...Brew another batch of beer!!!!

It'll take your mind of this one.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
mjn12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha, Thats why I brewed this one. My first batch is 8 days in the primary, this is only my second brew. I won't get to brew again until I move home Dec 19th or possibly back to school in mid january. For some reason moving a full ale pail with living yeasts does not seem appealing for me or the fungi involved.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #19
Whisler85
Recipes 

i have a mead brewing with lemon peels floating in it, and i noticed that all the peels have migrated to one half of the surface in the fermenter

the half that has peel floating in it has no foam on it at all, while the other half has a good amount of thick foam on it

something about the citrus peel, maybe the oils in it (?) are killing the foam in my mead, so maybe the orange peels are doing the same in your beer

ps- i know what you mean about moving- going home after 4.5 years at U of I, ive got four cornies and four six gallon glass carboys to move with me

Old 11-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #20
mjn12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've actually got a whole semester left. I'm on a co-op right now (extended, well-paid internship for those who aren't familiar) and I graduate this spring. Fortunately I went with plastic only and everything should fit within the original box my kit came in - well except the new beer.

Happy to report that I'm getting slow bubbling so I'm confident something is happening now. Starters from here on out. This delicous peat-smoked scottish ale is helping me with the RDW part of brewing.

I never really appreciated a beer with peat-smoked grains until I started drinking scotch. Now I realize the incredible dimension that it adds. I don't think I can get enough.

Quick Reply