Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I screw up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
mjn12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Did I screw up?

Alright, this is my second batch but first with a vial of liquid yeast and I just need a little reassurance that everything is going to be ok (or not?).

I picked up a new digi thermometer to monitor my temps with, and for some reason this batch seemed to take forever to chill down to pitching temp (while in a bathtub of cold water. Eventually I RDWHAHB'ed too much and woke up on the couch this morning while the yeast was sitting in the closet where I had taken it out of the fridge to get to temp the night before. Turns out the thermometer was ~15 degress high so that is why I had to wait so long. I pitched the yeast anyways, despite sitting out all night figuring a little extra time at room temp wouldn't kill it.

So i guess I have a few questions:
1) Will 12 hours at room temp royally eff my yeast up? I'm just expecting a higher lag time, esp for my beer with O.G. of ~1.06
2) Does anyone know of a reliable digital thermometer for brewing?
3) Is my wort ruined because it sat in a sealed, sanitized fermenter for way too long?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Unkle Danky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I am new also but I have used White Labs liquid yeast on both of my brews. If I am not mistaken it tells you on the label that up to 24 hrs (?) at room temp is beneficial. I am guessing that when the yeast and the wort are at the same temp when pitched there is no shock to the yeast and fermentation will start sooner because of it. I have been leaving my yeast out over night and have seen fermentation start in less than a day both times.

You look like I need a drink
-----------------------------------------
Primary- AHS Double Chocolate Stout
Bottled- AHS Fat Tire Clone
Bottled- AHS Bavarian Hefe

Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
mjn12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think my package said 3-6 hours but I've come to learn whats written on a lot of labels and whats true can be very different.

The length of time that the wort sat was what really worried me but I'm assuming its not really any different than someone having bad yeast, letting it sit for a few days and repitching - as long as its sanitized all should be good.

Id RDWHAHB right now but I'm putting in a few extra hours at work right now. We only get to drink at work on Thurdays

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

Naw, you're fine. When I brew, I take all my yeat out of the fridage at one time. Sometimes I brew up to 5 batches in a day, so the yeast is out for 14 or so hours. No worries.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Unkle Danky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The main thing with the wort sitting as well as fermentation taking a long time to start is that other organisms get the head start in the beer. As long as the lid is on though I would say no problem. I had to dig into my second brew to get the rubber stopper out right after I poured the wort. Took me 15 minutes and I forgot to sanitize the spoon. There is no sign of infection though and it is good to go. Everyone here has convinced me to rdwhahb and so far so good. Besides there is only one way to find out....

You look like I need a drink
-----------------------------------------
Primary- AHS Double Chocolate Stout
Bottled- AHS Fat Tire Clone
Bottled- AHS Bavarian Hefe

Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
mjn12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

24hrs still no signs. After sanitizing my hands as well as the area around the bucket lid I took a peak to see if any kraussen was forming - nothing unless you count the light colored, extremely thin layer of foam on top much like if you mix iced tea. Maybe I'm wrong and that is the kraussen starting.

I know it can take up to 72 hours - problem is I'm leaving for a week friday night so If I want to re-pitch with a starter I need to get the yeast today or tomorrow, maybe weds at the latest.

Could the grated peels of 4 oranges (sounds like a lot but its what papazian calls for) be causing an increased lag due a more acidic environment, not to mention the higher gravity (1.064)?

I know, I'm too anxious. The last beer that I did with a dry yeast just sort of started like I threw a match in gasoline. I talked to a brewer at work who uses liquid yeast (no starter) and he said his stuff always takes off like that too so that made me even more worried. First batch was so much easier for some reason.

EDIT: No response necessary to this post. i know its typical noob nonsense - but venting concern alleviates a lot of it. This is me telling myself to shut up and quit worrying.

Last edited by mjn12; 11-17-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn12 View Post
24hrs still no signs. After sanitizing my hands as well as the area around the bucket lid I took a peak to see if any kraussen was forming - nothing unless you count the light colored, extremely thin layer of foam on top much like if you mix iced tea. Maybe I'm wrong and that is the kraussen starting.

I know it can take up to 72 hours - problem is I'm leaving for a week friday night so If I want to re-pitch with a starter I need to get the yeast today or tomorrow, maybe weds at the latest.

Could the grated peels of 4 oranges (sounds like a lot but its what papazian calls for) be causing an increased lag due a more acidic environment, not to mention the higher gravity (1.064)?

I know, I'm too anxious. The last beer that I did with a dry yeast just sort of started like I threw a match in gasoline. I talked to a brewer at work who uses liquid yeast (no starter) and he said his stuff always takes off like that too so that made me even more worried. First batch was so much easier for some reason.
Back away from the fermenter. I'd venture it's 90+% likely everything's just fine, and you're more likely to cause problems by ****ing with it.

Dry yeast ferments like gangbusters because you've got very high cell counts, meaning lots of yeast. Ditto for liquid yeasts at high enough pitching rates. Liquid yeast without a starter is likely to take a while to get a good ferment going, particularly if you're starting with mildly stressed yeast.

A vial of White Labs yeast is just barely enough to get a 5 gallon batch of 1.050 wort going well -- under optimum conditions. Personally, I never use liquid yeast without a starter. That said, the best thing you can do now is leave it alone. Go on your trip, and check a gravity when you get back.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
Back away from the fermenter. I'd venture it's 90+% likely everything's just fine, and you're more likely to cause problems by ****ing with it.

Dry yeast ferments like gangbusters because you've got very high cell counts, meaning lots of yeast. Ditto for liquid yeasts at high enough pitching rates. Liquid yeast without a starter is likely to take a while to get a good ferment going, particularly if you're starting with mildly stressed yeast.

A vial of White Labs yeast is just barely enough to get a 5 gallon batch of 1.050 wort going well -- under optimum conditions. Personally, I never use liquid yeast without a starter. That said, the best thing you can do now is leave it alone. Go on your trip, and check a gravity when you get back.

What he said!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

ha! For once, I beat Revvy to an advice thread!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
ha! For once, I beat Revvy to an advice thread!
I went to heat my lunch...but honestly I couldn't have said it better myself.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply