Did i ruin the wort by oxidizing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_618

Reaction score
I am in the process of making three 5.5 gallon batches of an extract apple ale that I'm going to keg in a half barrel. When I brewed it, I topped the fermenters to 4.5 gallons each and they've been fermenting for a week. Today, I mixed up a gallon of apple juice with a pound of honey and some nutmeg, cinammon extract, and vanilla extract. I shook the snot out of the juice bottles to mix the juice/honey mixture, and poured each one in a fermenter. I poured pretty vigorously, completely forgetting the oxidization worry. I'm a dummy.

Is my huge batch destined to be shot? I'm gonna ride it out regardless, but I wanted some input from the experts.

Thanks in advance!!

With all of that going on, I don't think you'll taste any oxidation errors.

I'm still starting too, so I only know this from my research into yeast, but... yeast uses oxygen, so as long as you've still got active yeast in there, all the oxygen should be used up in pretty short order.

It may be a concern - so drink fast - but the secondary fermentation that will occur with the new sugars you added may reduce the impact as the yeast take up some of the O2.

Back