Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I rack to secondary too early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
rcd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I rack to secondary too early?

I brewed a Fat Tire clone approximately 5-6 days ago. Yesterday, fermentation had slowed to under 5 bubbles/minute. Today I racked to a secondary fermenter. When I opened the primary, there was the ring of krausen around the sides like I usually see, but there was also foam on the top. I racked anyway... Did I rack too early? Will it be ruined now?

For future reference, what's the rule on this... In palmer's book he says it's best to rack when bubbling is under 5 bubbles per minute (vs. necessarily waiting a week).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a general rule.....let it stay in the primary until the krausen falls and there are very little bubbles left on top of the wort. There is a layer of yeast under the krause and you want it to sink to the bottom before you rack to the secondary.

Most of the time I just primary for 1 full week. Extra primary time will not hurt a thing.

Racking early like you did can cause the fermentation to hang and take a long time to finish.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I keg from the fermentor, so I go by less than 4 bubbles per minute AND a minimum of a week AND the gravity is constant for 3 days.

But, racking earlier won't ruin the batch. Nor will it make the brew ready to drink any earlier.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
brewie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd
I brewed a Fat Tire clone approximately 5-6 days ago. Yesterday, fermentation had slowed to under 5 bubbles/minute. Today I racked to a secondary fermenter. When I opened the primary, there was the ring of krausen around the sides like I usually see, but there was also foam on the top. I racked anyway... Did I rack too early? Will it be ruined now?

For future reference, what's the rule on this... In palmer's book he says it's best to rack when bubbling is under 5 bubbles per minute (vs. necessarily waiting a week).
You probably won't get every last bit of conversion you could have, but no worries. When I first started (and didn't take gravities too often) I used the 1-2-3 method. You know - 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 or more in the bottle. It seemed to work pretty well until I understood a little more on what was happening. Through trial and error I've learned to just rely on stabilized gravities (and I still kinda go by the 1-2-3 anyway) instead of visible activity. Hope this helps.

Up Next: Pale Ale
In Primary:
In Secondary:
Bottled: Double IPA OG: 1.065 FG: 1.010
On Tap: Waiting for CO2

Quick Reply