Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I oxidize my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
TopBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I oxidize my beer?

So my friend and I did my 2nd all grain batch yesterday and we wound up with about 6 gallons of wort instead of the 5 we were shooting for. It had an OG of 1.070, so I was pretty sure we were gonna need a blow off tube. I set up a blow off tube, but it was sort of a make shift one, and the lid to my fermenter kept popping open because not enough CO2 was escaping through the tube. This is about 12 hours after we pitched the yeast. So I got another bucket and airlock from a friend to ferment in and racked about 3 gallons into the new sanitized bucket, closed it up, and put on the new airlock. I tried to rack it as gently as possible. What are the chances that I oxidized the wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Slim. I've done my share of splashing and such during racking, never noticed anything resembling oxidation. At this stage, you've got nothing to worry about. In the first few days, there's plenty of CO2 being produced anyway, so the yeast are metabolizing any oxygen in solution. Adding a bit by racking won't hurt. You're at a bigger risk for contamination, but that's a slim chance as well with such solid yeast activity.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

As long as there is live yeast in the wort/beer, oxidation is unlikely. The yeast will use the oxygen to make more yeast.

I've added oxygen to fermenting wort as often as three times for a big barleywine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
TopBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Excellent, thanks! I was a little worried, but it seems to be doing fine and I guess there's no point in worrying until I can actually taste it and see if it did or not. Thanks again, for the help.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

Why only 3 gallons to the 2nd bucket?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
TopBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sorry, the phrasing was a little confusing. I left 3 gallons in the other bucket too. So I've got 2 buckets, each with about 3 gallons in them. That way there would be enough room in the top of each bucket that the krausen wouldn't clog up the airlocks. I'm thinking about doing a little experiment and keeping the two separate for the rest of fermentation and dry hopping each with different hops. So maybe something interesting will come out of the whole situation.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

In a 6.5 gallon bucket,that's 3.5 gallons of head space. Could be a touch much head space to keep full of co2...

Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
In a 6.5 gallon bucket,that's 3.5 gallons of head space. Could be a touch much head space to keep full of co2...
i've done it a bunch, shouldnt be any issues

Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It may not stay "full" of CO2, but whatever is in there will sink and form a "blanket" of sorts over the beer. This will obviously get stirred up if there's a lot of agitation to the air in the headspace, but if it's covered over it should allay any fears, though I don't even think it's worth worrying about.

When in doubt, just consider all the people who do open fermentation.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Co2 pooling is a fairly rare atmospheric phenomenon - i really doubt that co2 in the headspace sinks. I'm betting it stays in mixture with the rest of the atmospheric gasses.

Co2 rising slowly out of the beer may sit low on the surface, though

Quick Reply