New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I need to make a yeast starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
CHans3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Did I need to make a yeast starter?

So I made a new recipe for a IPA with the help of my LHBS, and the OG came out to be 1.080... about 20 points higher than I expected. It was a PM, but I don't have the recipe on me atm. I will post it once I get back to school.

My question is regarding whether or not I needed a yeast starter for this beer. I rehydrated a packet of US-05 about an hour or two before I started brewing and added a fair amount of table sugar to the mix. By the end of the brew, it was churning along nicely. Once fermenting, it bubbled pretty vigorously for about three days, and now has slowed significantly.

Did I need a yeast starter? I am going to measure the gravity on Monday when I get back. I was just browsing the forums and found people talking about yeast starters for high OG beers. Now I am nervous. If I did need a yeast starter and the gravity is very high when I measure Monday, is there anything I can do to remedy the situation.

Thanks!
Chans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

You don't need to make starters for dry yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Camride
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you measure your OG before you topped off your wort? 20 points higher is a pretty significant amount.

As for the yeast it is fine. I just did an IPA with S-05 and the OG was 1.076 and it has attenuated down to 1.013 after 13 days. I've read that S-05 is good up to 10% ABV with no issues.

Quick Reply