Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did i mess up???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Irisndfan2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did i mess up???

Brewed only my second batch yesterday. Couple things went wrong. First my timer didnt work so I had to time based on my watch. Im guessing the boil was over 60 minutes by a couple minutes, maybe 3 or four, how bad is this? also when I was cooling the wort I got a little impatient. I transfered the wort to the fermenting bucket and it wasn't quite cool enough so while it sat in the bucket i had to put it in the ice bath to cool it down some more. Will that negativeley effect the beer? Also not sure if i aerated correctly, how exactly should i be aerating? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1593 Times on 1510 Posts
Likes Given: 52738

That's all fine.

As for aeration, how did you transfer to the bucket? If you just pour it in there from the pot, the splashing will be enough to aerate.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 WHIPPED DOG straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

it splashed, and actually caused a lot of foam to form. and i tilted the bucket back and forth a little(northern brewer dvd for the basic kit told me to do that). Also after i added the yeast should i stir it around a little? thanks

Old 12-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Going over time by a few minutes isn't going to hurt anything. No problem with the ice bath either. I use an ice bath frequently, but I leave the wort in the kettle while it cools in the bath then transfer it once it's at temp. As long as everything that touched the wort while cooling was sanitized, your ok.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

We often boil intentionally for 90 minutes or 5 hours. So a few minutes over your 60 doesn't really do anything bad.

Something to realize, is that it is really hard to mess this up. There's more than 1 way to do something in brewing, and most of the time when you think you've screwed something up, you'll find hundreds of brewers who do it the same way and call it "their process."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
SkyHighBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1.) Boil time over by a few minutes won't ruin your beer. No biggie.

2.) Patience is key, I sanitize a thermometer probe & cool to 73F. Assuming you didn't pitch too hot (over 100F) your yeast should go right to work. Keep an eye on the airlock, you should see action in 6-18hrs.

3.) I aerate in the bucket just shaking the hell out of it for a minute or two (normal gravity beers) with the lid on, then pitch the yeast on top of the aerated wort. I usually dip my thumb in some sanitizer & cover the airlock hole with it.

Note: I've had my thermometer break while chilling my wort down to pitching temperature. After awhile though, you know that after 11-12 minutes or so, the wort is in that approximate 70-80 degree F range. You'll find that stuff out as you do more batches.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

thanks for all the replies. I feel much better now haha. I was trying to cool it down to 70 degrees but i got inpatient when it was at 75. Also i did not sanatize my thermoneter, as well as the tool i was using to stir with, is this bad? thanks again for the replies/

Old 12-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

also my airlock has yet to start bubbling and its been 15 hours. I understand that bubbling does not always happen but should i be worried? I checked for any air leaks and there are none.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisndfan2 View Post
also my airlock has yet to start bubbling and its been 15 hours. I understand that bubbling does not always happen but should i be worried? I checked for any air leaks and there are none.
If you understand that airlock bubbling doesn't always happen, then why are you worried????

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.
It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall.

Now stop worrying over everything.......

I want you to also read this, Revvy's Advice to new brewers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you understand that airlock bubbling doesn't always happen, then why are you worried????

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.
It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall.

Now stop worrying over everything.......

I want you to also read this, Revvy's Advice to new brewers.

lol my bad, should of searched the forum first. I guess your right, nothing I can do bout it now haha

Quick Reply