Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I make beer bombs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
zeeba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Did I make beer bombs?

I got a home brew kit for Christmas with a cherry wheat starter kit, it looked great for about 7 - 8 days then all the bubbles and what not on top seem to be near completely gone so I bottled them I got glass bottles with the rubber tops; it has been about 7 days since I bottled so I decided to try one to see how it was going, when I released the pressure from the top it blew off with some force, and the beer seemed to be very carbonated. Will this go way in a few weeks or did I bottle them to soon? I don't want them to blow up on me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Did you do any type of hydrometer reading to see if the fermentation was finished?? You will see it repeated on this site over and over that you can't judge fermentation by airlock or bubble activity.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default don't worry

don't worry at 7 days. Give the bottles a few more weeks, and the carbonation may equalize into solution in the beer.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeba
Will this go way in a few weeks or did I bottle them to soon?
Probably Not.
Yes but hard to say without a hydrometer reading.

Get some gloves, safety goggles and put them in a plastic bin with trash bags. I'm not sure what to do next (search around here if no one responds), but they will likely explode on you so be careful.
and buy/use a hydrometer and a good brewing book like Palmer's How to Brew. Kit instructions can be quite poor.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

At 7-8 days you def bottle too soon. That's the reason those bottles popped with such force only 1 week later. Expect it to get worse from here. You can't speed up the process going from brew kettle to glass because you wanna get to your beer. Patience during the whole process will yield a better quality product.
I agree with twalte,you should've taken a hyrometer reading to see if it was done yet. At 8 days,you'd have seen that it wasn't. Bottle bombs can be dangerous with all the pressures built up in the head space of the bottles.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
zeeba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't have any kind of meters, I wonder if I should just open them all now and poor them out and start over. Don't much want to have glass flying out at me.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
At 7-8 days you def bottle too soon. That's the reason those bottles popped with such force only 1 week later. Expect it to get worse from here. You can't spped up the process going from brew kettle to glass because you wanna get to your beer. Patience during the whole process will yield a better quality product.
I agree with twalte,you should've taken a hyrometer reading to see if it was done yet. At 8 days,you'd have seen that it wasn't. Bottle bombs can be dangerous with all the pressures built up in the head space of the bottles.
Would moving to the refrigerator at this point at least stop any further fermentation and enable the CO2 to be better absorbed into the beer. I'm not sure that I know the next steps to safely save this beer.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
mcangeli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 82

If you open them can you reclose them?

I'd take them outside and open them let the carbonation out and recap. Then let them sit for a week and in the meantime go to the lhbs and pickup a hydrometer....

Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
stubrew67
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree that you probably bottled too soon. You might still be able to salvage the situation, and since you have the stopper type bottles it makes it easier. Open each one to vent them and leave them open for some amount of time, like an hour or so. Then recap them and let them sit for a week before trying one again. I think it's worth a try rather than just pouring them all out.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
zeeba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok brought them up from the basement and opened one and beer came pooring out the top... I think I may have ruined the beers.

Quick Reply