Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I kill my yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
chuckger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Did I kill my yeast?

I am having some questions about this beer i made last night. The beer is a california Common using Wyeast Propagator 2112 Cal Lager. I put the yeast in the fridge for about aweek waiting to free up a primary vessel once I had one free I poulled it out to smack and rise and I noticed that the contence was slightly slushy, not frozen by any means but definately slushy I could shake the pack with no problem it was just really cold. I didn't think much of it so I smacked the pack and let it sit for about 8 hours then made a started. I let the starter go for about 28 hours before pitching it. During the 28 hours the starter only bubbled for about 5 hours in the middle of the 28 hours and then stopped, since it did bubble I figured it was fine, brewed the beer cooled and pitched. It has now been 24 hours since I pitched it and I have no action what so ever from the yeast that I can see, it is in a white bucket so all I have to go by is the bubbler but it has not moved. My question is should I buy another propagator and make a starter to pitch or am I jumping the gun?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
CouchFarmer
Recipes 

I'd wait at least 72 hours before pitching again. Also, no bubbles does not always mean no activity. You may have a leak, the only way to be sure is to check to see if your gravity moves with a hydrometer.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I agree. Give it some more time. Even if there isn't a leak the entire volume of your beer has to become saturated with CO2 before it starts to off gas into the air above it and start that bubbler moving.

GT

Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

dont worry it will go! it may just take some time i had a california Common take 50hrs to start once ,, it had me all sorts of worryed but in the end it turned out fine.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Lager yeast seems to take a little bit longer to start. Do you have it at a cool temperature? If you do it could take longer than if you start it warm. (I can't say which is better, warmer or cooler because I've only brewed 3 lagers and they are still lagering.)

Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
chuckger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It is in a cool place so it may take longer. I am fairly new, this is my 15th or so batch so just wanted some thought from a pro or two. Thanks I will let it go for a while, I am using a brand new bucket top on this one so it could be leaking, I have never used it before so I wouldn't know.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
chuckger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I changed the bubbler last night and it started bubbing away! Stupid double bubbler!! Thanks for consoling me fellas!

Quick Reply