did I kill my bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmiser

BrewMiser
Reaction score
Holy crap! I finally screwed up! I knew this was going to happen one day!

So last time I brewed I used my new wort chiller & when I was done I put it in my bottling bucket which was full of starsan to clean it up. Well, some how the lid got put on the bucket( i blame this on my bro but we were drinking :tank:) & I forgot it was in there. anyway 4 weeks later I get around to bottling & there it is, the bucket stunk, part of the copper was shiny & the tubing had a film on it. So I tried to clean it out & put new hot starsan in & rinsed. still had a slight smell. but being in a hurry & already having everything ready to bottle I went ahead & used it. I'm now thinking maybe I shouldn't have? maybe this smell will get in my beer? Guess I'll now in about a week...

thinking of just buying a new bucket, any thoughts?

Does it still smell? I'd taste the beer you bottled, if it tastes fine, don't worry about it.

At first I thought the beer smelled funny but the I realized it was just my hands that stunk. most likely from cleaning the bucket. the beer is an extra pale ale & taste like cascade hops.....
:rockin:

I did clean my bucket again after bottling & it still smells funny (like metal)

Not sure about the current beer that you just bottled, a taste test is the only answer for it... but I don't think the bucket is ruined. I would go get some oxyclean or PBW and let it soak in the bucket over-night and see if that doesn't do the trick. Star-San is a sanitizer, not a cleaner. If it still has a smell after that, it may be time for a new bucket.

Not sure about the current beer that you just bottled, a taste test is the only answer for it... but I don't think the bucket is ruined. I would go get some oxyclean or PBW and let it soak in the bucket over-night and see if that doesn't do the trick. Star-San is a sanitizer, not a cleaner. If it still has a smell after that, it may be time for a new bucket.

I'll give that a try

Back