Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I kill my adhesive thermometer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Did I kill my adhesive thermometer?

Over the past week, there were many hot days, so I rigged up a swamp cooler. My plastic bucket primary began collecting a significant amount of condensation on the outside, due to the temperature difference.

I tried being vigilant and wiped the condensation off of the adhesive thermometer as often as I could, but I began worrying that the accuracy was being effected. It started showing up to four "blocks" of temp readings.

Today I noticed that half of *all* of the temperature blocks have turned white. It still seems to be registering different colors on the other half though.

I have never seen my thermometer do this. Is it an indication that the thermometer has taken too much water or is breaking?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
kawickstrom
Recipes 

I have never had a problem with mine and I wash it and soak it whenever I clean my fermenters. Mine are over a year old. What brand do you have

Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
jamesampm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Over the past week, there were many hot days, so I rigged up a swamp cooler. My plastic bucket primary began collecting a significant amount of condensation on the outside, due to the temperature difference.

I tried being vigilant and wiped the condensation off of the adhesive thermometer as often as I could, but I began worrying that the accuracy was being effected. It started showing up to four "blocks" of temp readings.

Today I noticed that half of *all* of the temperature blocks have turned white. It still seems to be registering different colors on the other half though.

I have never seen my thermometer do this. Is it an indication that the thermometer has taken too much water or is breaking?
they're 4 dollars... I wouldnt worry about it and just buy another one

Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
onipar
Recipes 

Here's a picture of what it looks like:

0612111553.jpg

I wouldn't say I'm worried, but even at four bucks, I'd rather not buy one if I don't need to.

Thanks for the suggestions

Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Same thing happened with mine. If you are careful to not disturb it to much (like separate the top layer from the sticky, bottom layer) and you let it fully dry out, it seems to work fine again.
Mine ended up separating after getting it wet about 5 times, and all the "goo" in between the two layers just fell out in chunks, and now its no longer working.
What I do now, is take a regular thermometer and monitor the temperature of the water bath instead. I'm not sure if this will work good for you, because from what it sounds like, your water is only partially full. I fill my swamp cooler so the water is level with the beer in the bucket.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
onipar
Recipes 

Yeah, that's the thing. I didn't submerge the strip in water, I only put enough water in the cooler for the bottom 4 or 5 inches. In fact, that picture I took is of the bucket in the cooler, so you can see the water doesn't actually touch the strip.

So that "half white" look is from too much moisture?

It's cooled off here, so there's no much condensation. hopefully it dries out on it's own. I would rather not try to peel it off the bucket.

Related question: If I *do* buy a new strip, do you think it's be okay to place it directly over the old one?

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
dabeers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same thing happened when I started to use a swamp cooler this spring. On other threads people have had success with not actually using the adhesive of the thermometer, simply taping it on the fermentor and that way you can take it off easily whenever you want to prevent damage. Of course you'll need to buy a new one now.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
onipar
Recipes 

Thanks, dabeers. Yeah, I guess it looks like I'll have to pick up a new one. I'll tape it on next time. Thanks, all!

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
aerialmedical
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 4 Posts

So, I just want to get this straight...is it not effective to have your temp strip submerged underwater in the swamp cooler? I was wondering if so, would the temperature strip measure the the temp of the water and not really the contents of the bucket?...or would their temps be basically the same? How high should the water level of the swamp bucket be? Here's how I setup mine....

forumrunner_20110612_182748.jpg  

Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
NyPDFustercluck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got mine in the water bath under the level of the swamp water as well. I also had my #s turn white. I checked the temp of the water and so far the strips still seem to be registering the correct 66 degrees(I've always assumed it was the number lit up in blue with the brown # to the right and the green # to the left)

Quick Reply