Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I just wreck a good thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
Zackb911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I just wreck a good thing?

Well 3 weeks ago I made my first extract kit, a pale ale, & today I bottled it. When I moved it from the primary to secondary 2 weeks ago I tasted it and it was GOOD! I honestly was impressed however I sampled some today while bottling and it was boring and just "ehh"..

Here may be the issue. My yield was 3.5 gallons thanks to evaporation while boiling, to try and curb this slightly I boiled 2qts of water with the priming sugar to help restore some volume instead of the 1 cup. When all was said and done I tasted a small glass of it and it just was bland, no real complex flavor or character.

So did I goof and wreck a good thing or will it develop over the 3 weeks in the bottles?

Thanks!
Zack

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I kind of did the same thing for my first batch...used too much water when bottling, but it all turned out brilliantly. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now since there is nothing you can do about it anyway. About every two days or so I would pop a bottle and taste it...which I highly recommend for your first brew. It really is amazing how much it changes as the beer carbonates, clears, and flavors blend. Give it time, pop one every now and then enjoy the fruits of your labor. RDWHAHB as they say!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
drsocc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it okay to top it off to five gallons at the end of the secondary before kegging?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsocc
Is it okay to top it off to five gallons at the end of the secondary before kegging?
The best way to top off is to do it in the primary. Or, if you have a big enough brew pot just make a "5g" mark on the inside of it. If you get below that, just add some water while you are boiling. For all the flavors to really melt together, your best bet is to do a full boil...or add water to your primary (after boiling and cooling of course).

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsocc
If you are losing volume through, you would want to compensate for that with your pre-fermentation volume/recipe. Beer lost to racking and such is just a sacrifice to the beer gods

You don't really want to water your beer down just to have an even 5 gallons after all.... If you got a short pint at the bar, would you want the bar tender topping it off w/ water?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as you boiled the water, you can top it up and it'll be OK. Maybe not the best, but it won't ruin the batch. And don't worry about the beer tasting thin while you're bottling, it almost always tastes like that before it goes into bottles.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Go Gators
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
I kind of did the same thing for my first batch...used too much water when bottling, but it all turned out brilliantly. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now since there is nothing you can do about it anyway. About every two days or so I would pop a bottle and taste it...which I highly recommend for your first brew. It really is amazing how much it changes as the beer carbonates, clears, and flavors blend. Give it time, pop one every now and then enjoy the fruits of your labor. RDWHAHB as they say!
I would not recommend starting to taste the beer after two days. After two days it will taste exactly like the day you bottled it and you will now have one less bottle. I would suggest you wait at least a week before trying any of the bottles. Then sample at your own intervals to see the changes. Just my $0.02
On Tap - Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Next - Nothing at the moment
Reading - Radical Brewing

GO GATORS!

Old 04-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Gators
I would not recommend starting to taste the beer after two days. After two days it will taste exactly like the day you bottled it and you will now have one less bottle. I would suggest you wait at least a week before trying any of the bottles. Then sample at your own intervals to see the changes. Just my $0.02
YMMV, but I was ablel to taste a dicernable difference after two days. It wasn't a big difference, but it was interesting to get an idea of how and when a beer changes over time. Waiting a week would surely not hurt anything. I've only done this with my first batch, just to see what is happening in the bottle. With my last two batches, I let it sit in bottles for 2 weeks before cracking one.

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Go Gators
Recipes 

Not sure what YMMV is, but I didn't mean to come across hostile...just thought that it could be a waste of a beer unless you have a really sensitive taste pallet, and know what you are looking for.

On Tap - Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Next - Nothing at the moment
Reading - Radical Brewing

GO GATORS!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Gators
Not sure what YMMV is, but I didn't mean to come across hostile...just thought that it could be a waste of a beer unless you have a really sensitive taste pallet, and know what you are looking for.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Quick Reply