Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I just make a bottle bomb?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
muenchk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I just make a bottle bomb?

I bottles a couple beers this weekend. A mirror pond clone, a great German Hefe and a bit if a disaster: a watermelon Hefe.

Knowing it was going to be a bit tart, I decided to add some splenda right before bottling. But all I did was open the splenda packages and pour them into the bottling bucket and mixed with a sanitized spoon.

Did I screw up? Should I have boiled the splenda?

I only did a half batch and given the rotten watermelon taste it has right now, I won't be bummed if it dies. But I just don't want a mess in my closet. And I want to learn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't believe Splenda is a fermentable sugar. I could be wrong, but I think you'll be fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4920 Times on 3569 Posts
Likes Given: 990

I've never used an artifical sweetener, but I've heard that there are two types of Splenda- plain Splenda and a mix of table sugar and Splenda. One is Splenda, and one is "Splenda Sugar Blend".

Check the package carefully to see which one you have. If you used plain Splenda, the only issue that might come up is that some bottles will be much sweeter than others since you didn't dissolve it well before adding it to the beer. If you used the sugar blend version, BOOM.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Splenda is pretty much non fermentable so it's not likely to add carbonation to your bottles. It sounds like you were just trying to increase the sweetness and not add something to carbonate so that's all good.

As to whether or not you should have boiled...yes. Everything that touches your beer after the boil is a potential avenue for contamination and should be sanitized. Whether or not you end up with an infection is hard to say, but you have opened the door a bit. The fact that you describe the current taste as rotten watermelon could mean you already have some issue in there.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
BrothersBrewing
Recipes 

+1 non fermentable

Old 08-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 non fermentable .... synthisized surgar

Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
muenchk
Recipes 

Thanks all for the input.

I was hoping to just add sweetness and hence the Splenda. The concern was really a potential infection.

I just figured if it's inside a Sealed package, it's going to be bacteria free.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Yeah, the rotten watermelon was just like over ripe watermelon. Not fresh, crisp watermelon. Don't know if it's an infection. Maybe it's just what watermelon hefes taste like.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muenchk View Post
Thanks all for the input.

Yeah, the rotten watermelon was just like over ripe watermelon. Not fresh, crisp watermelon. Don't know if it's an infection. Maybe it's just what watermelon hefes taste like.
I can't speak to all watermelon Hefes, but I had one on tap a few weeks ago at Naked City Brewing from a smaller brewery. I can't for the life of me remember the name though. The watermelon did not taste over ripe. Most of the sugar had been fermented out of the watermelon and the taste was sort of like what watermelon tastes like when you are biting into the white part of the melon near the skin.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply