Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I get some wild yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Dionysos911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Did I get some wild yeast?

So last week I started brewing an IPA and it wasn't til after my wort was about ready to hit my new fermenting that I noticed the lid was not airtight at the seal. I figured I was far enough along I'd best try to MacGyver it then let the wort sit at room temp while I ran to the brew store. So I dumped the wort, pitched the yeast (Safale 04) then wrapped the top as best I could with plastic wrap. Throughout the week I could see krausen but no airlock movement so I knew there was an air leak. On saturday I got a new carboy so I racked into that. When I popped the lid on the original bucket it had a bit of a sour smell and the bubbles in the pic below. I will take Revvy's advice and ride it out but I am wondering if having my fermentor not being completely air tight caused this or would co2 been enough protection.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Right now it looks to me like that is just the last of the krausen and not an infection. I may be wrong. You have the right idea, though - just ride it out either way.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Looks perfectly normal to me. There is no need for an airtight lid, the only reason the lid is even used is to keep nasties from falling into the brew from above. It's not like they're crawling up the sides of the bucket trying to get in...

I recently bought a brand new fermenting bucket and even with the lid on all the way, it's not airtight enough to make the airlock bubble. No problems.

RDWHAHB

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber