Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Diagnoising astrigency issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would think it came from you pulling some of the material off of the bottom then if you used gelatin and cold crashed, although some of it probably would have fallen out while it was sitting in the bottle unless it got shaken up on judging day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
I would think it came from you pulling some of the material off of the bottom then if you used gelatin and cold crashed, although some of it probably would have fallen out while it was sitting in the bottle unless it got shaken up on judging day.
I racked into a keg and didn't get much trub at all in the keg. Don't think this is it.

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #33
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBrew View Post
I racked into a keg and didn't get much trub at all in the keg. Don't think this is it.
It's not the trub that would cause it, I think hopper is talking about excess polyphenols that would have dropped out of solution being kicked back up.

Gelatin pulls out yeast, whereas polyclar will grab tannins and polyphenols. Polyclar acts like a protein and attaches to polyphenols.

Quick Reply