Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DH doesn't like the smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
LaurieGator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default DH doesn't like the smell

Oh, Goddess help me!

DH has been commenting about the smell of the wort for the last three batches of brew I have been making. I was brewing a batch this evening and he commented that the wort "smelled like an old rotten tennis shoe". So, the new batch has been renamed to Old Rotten Tennis Shoe. In another 6 - 8 weeks, HWMBO will get to sample Old Rotten Tennis Shoe and "drink his words", LOL!

For folks with SWMBO, how do you get your spouse used to the brew smell? I think it is absolutely heavenly and I am letting my sense of smell guide my beginning brewing efforts.

Also, I noticed a thread earlier in the forum about the OG determining the aging. My latest brew had an OG of 1.044 (after mixing with my lees stirrer before pitching the yeast). I am planning to let it sit in primary for 3 weeks then test it for 2 - 3 days to make sure I have reached a steady final gravity before bottling and letting it sit for 3 weeks at a temp of 74F in bottles. Would it be OK to assume it will be OK to drink at a 6 week aging or should I let it go for a while longer? The brew is a blonde ale with an estimated FG of 1.008 - 1.010.

Thanks for all of the info!

Fermenting: Grand Cru, Belgian Dubbel, Nut Brown Ale, Saison Sans Soul

Kegged: Honey Amber Ale, Centennial Blonde Ale,

Gone but not forgotten: Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
nibiyabi
Recipes 

I am not very experienced, but from what I've brewed and read, that should be more than enough time for your brew to be thoroughly enjoyable. My first beer had an OG of 1.043 and it was already long gone by the time you're planning on cracking it open. My girlfriend is certainly not SWMBO, and as such she is very apt to allow me to have hobbies that don't appeal to her (of course, drinking my hobby does appeal to her). My housemates loved the smell of brewing beer, so I would just go with the "drink his words" plan for now!

Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: Old Greg's Honey Stout (brewed 2009.03.20)
Secondary #1: Old Greg's Apfelwein (modified) (made 2009.03.20)
Secondary #2: Old Greg's Apfelwein (made 2009.03.05)
Keg #1: Old Greg's American IPA (brewed 2009.02.20 // secondaried 2009.02.28 // kegged 2009.03.07 // tapped 2009.03.30)
Keg #2: Old Greg's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter (brewed 2009.03.06 // kegged 2009.03.30)

RIP: Old Greg's Classic Beer Pong Ale (2009.02.27 - 2009.03.06)

Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
sacstatebrew
Recipes 

I did a california common pale ale and it smelled like bread. Dont know what you could do to change his opinion about the smell.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
obezyana1
Recipes 

My SWMBO thought my first brew smelled like soy sauce, and it was a Marzen. Luckily she doesn't mind too much and actually is really getting into helping me. I think she likes to see me have a hobby that I really enjoy.

As far as your fermenting time, that should plenty of time for your beer to ferment as long as you keep the temp around 68-70*. Truthfully it should be done by around 10 days or even less, but the extra time won't hurt it. I would suggest checking the FG after 10 days and if it is at or near your expected FG then check it over the next couple days. If it stays constant then bottle it, or rack it to a secondary if you want to clear it up before bottling.

Primary:Nothing until I get back from Moscow...
Secondary: See primary...
Bottle: Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Blackberry Cider
Drinking: Whatever I can find in Russia.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

HWMO doesn't hate it, but he doesn't like the smell either. My kids (older teenagers) hate it. As in, "OMG it stinks in this house- I can't breathe" kind of comments. My fix has just been to brew when no one is home, and in the summer when I do 10 gallon batches, I'll do it outside. HWMO doesn't complain about it any more, since he drinks quite a bit of the beer and loves the beer.

6 weeks should be plenty of time for a blonde ale. They mature pretty quickly, and taste fine when young. Sounds like a nice springtime beer!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
HWMO doesn't hate it, but he doesn't like the smell either. My kids (older teenagers) hate it. As in, "OMG it stinks in this house- I can't breathe" kind of comments. My fix has just been to brew when no one is home, and in the summer when I do 10 gallon batches, I'll do it outside. HWMO doesn't complain about it any more, since he drinks quite a bit of the beer and loves the beer.

6 weeks should be plenty of time for a blonde ale. They mature pretty quickly, and taste fine when young. Sounds like a nice springtime beer!
Sounds like they need something to cry about
I would brew a 10 gallon batch of this in the house.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Whats DH? You're not calling your husband a D%$#Head are ya? lol No seriously... what is that? Da Husband? Dynamic Hubby? Dogfish Head?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brew up a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein and let it ferment in the kitchen for a month. No one will complain about beer wort smell after that.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

The smell is leverage to buy a turkey fryer burner and move the operation outdoors. Didn't it say that in your kit instructions?

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
bluehouse
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau815 View Post
Whats DH? You're not calling your husband a D%$#Head are ya? lol No seriously... what is that? Da Husband? Dynamic Hubby? Dogfish Head?
Seen this on other forums means Dear Husband.
I prefer HWMBC he who must be controled.

Tell him, baby I know you don't like the smell but it really makes me happy to brew. Since your such a strong handy guy maybe you could build me a nice little brew hut away from the house then we could both be happy. If I had a nice little brew hut I could make lots of tasty brew we could enjoy together.

Quick Reply