Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dextrose Added During Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
zfite731
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dextrose Added During Boil

I've got a Pliny The Elder clone in the fermenter, sitting at 10 days right now. The recipe called to add a significant amount of dextrose at the start of the boil. My question is.... if you add the dextrose at the beginning of the boil, is it still necessary to add dextrose in order to bottle condition the brew? It seams to me that the sugar would boil off and not be in the right condition to... well.... condition the brew in the bottle.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks gents!

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfite731 View Post
I've got a Pliny The Elder clone in the fermenter, sitting at 10 days right now. The recipe called to add a significant amount of dextrose at the start of the boil. My question is.... if you add the dextrose at the beginning of the boil, is it still necessary to add dextrose in order to bottle condition the brew? It seams to me that the sugar would boil off and not be in the right condition to... well.... condition the brew in the bottle.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks gents!
Your yeast is going to eat the boil sugar during fermentation, you'll need more for them to eat in the bottle for it to carbonate.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sugar doesn't boil off. Only water boils off.

Most people add it late in the boil. It keeps the gravity lower during the boil and helps with improved hop bitterness extraction. There is nothing wrong with adding it at the start of the boil.

When the boil is over, wort is cooled, and you add yeast, the yeast works on all the available 'simple' sugars (and some of the more complex ones - dextrose is a simple sugar). When you get to a stable gravity, the yeast has used up all the simple sugars and converted it to alcohol.

When bottling, you always need to add a new sugar source for the yeast to work on to create CO2 in the bottle.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
zfite731
Recipes 

Makes perfect since now that you explain it. Thanks. How much priming sugar would y'all recommend using for a 5 gallon batch of Pliny?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As mentioned, the dextrose will ferment out - it's purpose is to thin the beer to prevent it from becoming too thick/syrupy.

The amount of priming sugar will depend on the maximum temperature reached during primary/secondary fermentation as that will determine the residual CO2 in solution. There are various calculators online, and Pliny is fairly carbonated, so say 3 volumes of CO2 or so at 70 degrees for 5 gallons going into the bottles is around 5oz of dextrose. Make sure to boil in water first, and in my experience it's very important to gently stir for a while to evenly distribute it.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
zfite731
Recipes 

Ok, great help guys. Thanks!

Quick Reply