Developing Recipe, Opinions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
I am trying to work on my own recipe for my next batch. What I was/am after is something light in color, mild hops, slightly crisp, with a little fruitiness on the back end of the profile.

Here is what I have come up with so far. I'm definately open to any thoughts/opinions/suggestions. I'm real new to working up my own recipes, so I could use all the help I can get....

Strawberry Beret

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Amount Item Type % or IBU

4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 44.44 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.22 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (30 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 lb Strawberry (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062
Est Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.21 %
Bitterness: 23.2 IBU
Calories: 279 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.3 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 3.0
Pressure/Weight: 5.4 oz
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 68.0 F Age for: 21.0 days
Storage Temperature: 68.0 F

I went with 68 for the temps simply because in the area where I store my beer, it maintains close to that temp with minimal temp. swings. Its the best I can do in my current house.

As far as the Strawberries go, I'm also up in the air on what fruit to use in the secondary. Raspberries or Blueberries are definate options, as are anything else that might be tasty.

Call me crazy but I have never had a fruity (ala strawberry/rasberry whatever...) beer that I liked.

No, cancel that. One time, I had I think a blueberry stout that was good. One time!

I have had sweetwater blue which is good and I did brew a clone. I'm looking to do a strawberry blone now. It's a matter of taste I guess but normally the fruit beers I like don't really taste fruity other than citrus hops but more or less it's an aroma thing.

Lose the Pils and Vienna. Their flavor is more grainy and don't think it would compliment the strawberries.

Cascade and Amarillo, again something I don't think is going to compliment strawberries. Just do some Williamette for the bittering. If you really want a later hop addition a .5oz of Williamette should be fine.

I don't think Trappist Ale yeast would be the best choice. Maybe a Kolsch yeast.

In simplest form you could go with:

6-6.6# Wheat Extract LME/DME
1# Crystal 10

1 oz Williamette 60 min
.5 oz Williamette 0 min
Kolsch Yeast

And then your strawberries

I would have thought if any of the hops, the Williamette would have been the 1st one to go since the Cascade/Amarillo have some citrus to them. Its also the reason why I picked the Trappist yeast... the fruitiness.

From what I've seen on here, it is pretty hard to get much flavor out of Strawberries without using flavoring (which I'm shying away from), so I have been trying to add things that add sweetness/fruit flavors to add to it.

I have been trying to get more into partial mash stuff, so I have been trying to get away from being too extract dependant. What would be a more grain dependant version, from what you can figure out?

I agree with PT_ray about the Pils and Vienna. Something like 70-75% wheat, 15-20% extra light LME/DME and 5-10% crystal 10L. it won't be as "big" for sure however.

Cascade seems like a good choice to me. might go for some saaz toward the end and perhaps even finish it off with some perle at the very end (optional).

never used the trappist yeast but from reading seems like a good call and at 68 should bit a bit more "fruity".

It just looks like an overly complicated recipe, that probably doesn't need to be.

Many commercial 'crisp' fruit beers are low bitterness/hop flavor, and based around American Wheat styles. I'd go that route...a low IBU wheat, simplify the hop additions, and go with the berries in secondary.

How does this sound.....

2 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 25.00 %
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.50 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (30 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 lb Strawberry (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) Yeast-Ale

It just looks like an overly complicated recipe, that probably doesn't need to be.

Many commercial 'crisp' fruit beers are low bitterness/hop flavor, and based around American Wheat styles. I'd go that route...a low IBU wheat, simplify the hop additions, and go with the berries in secondary.

What would you consider low IBUs? I figured in the low 20's was pretty low. I don't want something too malty. I was definately going with the berries, whatever kind I end up going with, in the secondary.

I could cut it to an oz. of Cascades at 60 mins. and then go with the Saaz at 10 and 0.....

I am a bit of a hop head, but there is a time and a place for everything. I figure this batch will be ready to drink around mid June, so I'm trying to come up with something fairly crisp and slightly sweet (not too malty, dark, or heavy). A little hoppy is fine with me. I'm currently drinking a Pale Ale (my 1st from scratch (a combo of a couple recipes)) that is around 44 IBUs. I'd like something less hoppy but not too malty.

Trying to learn about balance here....

sounds pretty good - I might simplify the hop additions just go with the full amount of cascade up front or even FWH it. but ya looks really good. I'd drink it! ;)

On a side note, its funny/scary to see how my knowledge has progressed from day 1 to today. Not that I know much on the grand scale, but its pretty cool turning around and looking back a little bit.....

From what I've seen on here, it is pretty hard to get much flavor out of Strawberries without using flavoring (which I'm shying away from), so I have been trying to add things that add sweetness/fruit flavors to add to it.

I picked up on that. However, you have too many flavors competing with each other. If you want to enhance the fruit flavor I believe adding a little citric acid is one of the tricks, it was mentioned in one of Jamil's podcasts. I can't say for sure but think that's what he suggested. It will add a little tartness and give a more fruity effect.

I think oats would fit. You could get a couple pounds of 2 row and mash it with a half pound of oats. In lighter beers I find oats add an earthy, viscous quality.

What would you consider low IBUs? I figured in the low 20's was pretty low. I don't want something too malty. I was definately going with the berries, whatever kind I end up going with, in the secondary.

I could cut it to an oz. of Cascades at 60 mins. and then go with the Saaz at 10 and 0.....

I am a bit of a hop head, but there is a time and a place for everything. I figure this batch will be ready to drink around mid June, so I'm trying to come up with something fairly crisp and slightly sweet (not too malty, dark, or heavy). A little hoppy is fine with me. I'm currently drinking a Pale Ale (my 1st from scratch (a combo of a couple recipes)) that is around 44 IBUs. I'd like something less hoppy but not too malty.

Trying to learn about balance here....

This is a useful reference:
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Category 6D is "American Wheat or Rye Beer". It lists:

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.040 – 1.055
IBUs: 15 – 30 FG: 1.008 – 1.013
SRM: 3 – 6 ABV: 4 – 5.5%

For a fruit beer, I'd aim at the low end of the IBUs, especially if you're going with a tart fruit (e.g. raspberries) where the acidity will already be cutting down any residual sweetness. The wheat malt isn't going to leave a ton of sweetness to begin with.

SumnerH, thanks. I had it in Beer Smith under fruit beer. I'm not really dedicated to it being a wheat, but that is just the way this thing is evolving. I guess that's what the universe wants me to make next.... a wheat. As I have it right now, I'm at the edges of the limitations for wheats, but still within them. Est. OG 1.051, Est. FG 1.012, Color 4.6 SRM, IBU 16.1, ABV 5.04. Looks like it'll be beer.

Back