is delaying pitching yeast bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unfnole23

Reaction score
I'm about to brew an IPA with a buddy at his place about 2 hours away next week. I plan to brew and then pitch the yeast when I get it back to my house. Will this cause any adverse effects? I can pitch it right after brewing but it will have to sit through a 2 hr car ride.

What would be bad about it sitting through a 2hr car ride? It's not going to change much whether the yeast is already in there or not.

Actually the car ride would probably be good. You'd be introducing oxygen through all of the bumps of the road. As long as you leave and get home before it starts fermenting you'll actually be helping the yeast out. Go for it!

The car ride is going to help aerate the wort. I would pitch at home, just to be safe. Could you imagine a blow off happening in the back seat while your on the freeway? lol I don't know if its possible, but that would be nuts.
It would make for a cool story.

Wort (a warm, sugary liquid) is basically the perfect place for wild yeast to grow and multiple. The main reason you want to pitch as soon as possible is to allow your yeast to establish themselves before any other wild yeast can. You'll be fine waiting the 2hours to pitch as long as you have good sanitation techniques and you keep the carboy/bucket sealed to avoid any foreign elements from getting into the wort.

+1 on the side of you will be fine. Many people pitch the yeast the next day, once the temperature of the wort has cooled down.

Make sure to put that lid on tight!!

Back