New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Delaying boil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
3bals
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Delaying boil

Last Sat evening, after brewing a batch of EPA, I started steeping the grain for a lager that I was going to brew. Well, I looked at the clock and decided not to finish the boil that night, I turned off the heat, pulled the grain bag out and covered the pot. In the the morning I resumed the process and finished the boil.

Will this delay in the boil make any difference in the finished product? I'm thinking not, but just looking for advice from the masters. I'm just a noob and have only brewed 60 gallons since I started brewing last November.

Jody

"The only thing wrong with doing nothing is you never know when you're finished"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
imprez25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure what harm it could do, but I'm sure you made beer and it will be good!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Several people mash one night and boil the next routinely.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I see no problems with that. Even if anything got in overnight, it would have been boiled out in the AM.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
3bals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the delay in getting back, I was away for training this week,

The lager is bubbling along just great at 51 deg in my lagering cabinet. The EPA seems to have stopped bubbling a week after I brewed, but no worries, I usually let it sit in the primay 4 weeks or so before I check the FG. I'll give the lager a week and a half or so then I'll let it warm up for about 3 days, then put it back in the lagering cabinet.

Jody

"The only thing wrong with doing nothing is you never know when you're finished"

Old 06-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let us know how this turns out; I'm interested, because I saw a recipe for a one month lambic that was similar - the theory was that letting the beer go overnight would sour it. I don't remember where in the procedure that was supposed to take place though, so it might not be strictly relevant to your situation.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 06-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
3bals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll post the results. It shouldn't be too hard to tell if it made a difference, as I just finished drinking the last bottle of the same brew the other day. It is a Grain Belt Premium clone and I thought it was real simular to the store bought. The last one I did was 11 weeks from brew to drink. So, it might be awhile.

Jody

Old 12-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
3bals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just finished this keg of lager and the only difference between this one and the one previous was that it seemed a little hoppier, but that could have been the fact that I didn't pay attention to the AAUs of the hops that I used. I just dumped in the 1oz package. The beer was still good, just not the same.

I just tapped the next lager keg that I brewed on 8/31. It also is good and not as hoppy as the previous.

Jody

Quick Reply