Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Delayed starter pitch and airation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Delayed starter pitch and airation

I screwed up my timeline a bit and need to pitch on delay tonite. That is, I brewed Saturday and have my wort under airlock but have not pitched yet. I have my 2 step starter cold crashing now and intend to decant and pitch this evening.

My question is should I aerate my wort before pitching or is my yeast sufficiently underway and ready to get the job done?

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Wagon_6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout
I screwed up my timeline a bit and need to pitch on delay tonite. That is, I brewed Saturday and have my wort under airlock but have not pitched yet. I have my 2 step starter cold crashing now and intend to decant and pitch this evening.

My question is should I aerate my wort before pitching or is my yeast sufficiently underway and ready to get the job done?
IMO it's always good to do some kind of aeration be it shaking/rolling the carboy or pure O2 with a diffusion stone. Your 2 step starter has a great head start but they still would love some O2 while they multiply for the batch.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You will need to aerate. All the starter has done is get you to the right pitching amount. Once you pitch, the yeast will need oxygen to reproduce to get to the right level to ferment the beer. It is during this reproduction phase that the yeast are starting to produce esters that help give the beer part of it's character.

Quick Reply