Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Definition of batch size?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
jaobrien6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Definition of batch size?

Is "batch size" the volume that you plan to end up with in the primary? I've been reading some recipes online, found Jamil's Red Rocket clone and it's a 6 gallon batch size. I always aim for 5.5 into the primary to allow for 5 when it's kegged. I know it's a total noob question, but I just want to make sure I scale appropriately for my equipment if I give this recipe a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yes, the batch size is generally considered to be the volume you end up with in the primary.
When Jamil gets a bit more experience, he will find that he doesn't really need to make a 6g batch to end up with 5g in keg or bottles.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4471 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
When Jamil gets a bit more experience, he will find that he doesn't really need to make a 6g batch to end up with 5g in keg or bottles.

-a.
LOL

I usually go with 5.5 in the fermenter, and get pretty close to 5 gallons in the keg. I've been trying to increase my recipes slightly to get a full 5 gallons in the keg, but I usually forget until about 1/2 through the boil.

If you have a 6 gallon carboy, you aren't going to want to put more than 5, 5.25 gallons in there. If you have a 6.5 gallon carboy, 6 gallons is a tight fit. I guess that sounds like a silly way to determine what size batch you want to make, but it really isn't. Consider your fermenter size when deciding how much wort you want to put in there. (Some of these things I had to learn the hard way!)

Old 04-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
jaobrien6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys, that's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure.

Quick Reply