New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Defective Vinator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
bembury
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Defective Vinator?

I just jumped on the Vinator bandwagon, but after assembling today, I noticed a lot of what I think is atypical splashing coming out of it. When I press the bottle down on the applicator, it sprays the liquid into the bottle, but when I lift the bottle off and the injector returns to its resting position, a fair amount of liquid squirts out of the base of the injector, with some of it splashing outside of the reservoir and onto my counter. This does not seem to be apparent in any of the videos that I've seen.

I've taken the thing apart several times and have adjusted the amount of liquid without success. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any suggestions for fixing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
WCD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi bembury,
I notice the same with my vinartor, no splash onto the counter though. I kind of hold the bottle for a couple seconds to let the water run out, that keeps the splash down. Im bottling this weekend. Ill pay closer attention and report back.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Mine does that a little bit but it sounds like yours is a lot more extreme. Could be a defect.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Did you make sure the red base inside the bowl is snapped down securely? There are 3 tabs that fit into corresponding slots in the bowl. Check that.
Mine wouldn't work at all,took it back,& he showed me that you can't just set the tabs in place,they have to be snapped down. Boy,did I feel like a clone. I fill mine up about half way,maybe a little less with star-san or PBW solution. No splashing.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
WCD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bottled earlier. I dont snap mine down w/ tabs above but fill with sanitizer about half way. I squirt like 3 times and let it run out. No major splashes. sanitizer does come out the base of the squirter but does not spray all over. Your may be defective.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
BlueZooBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When i first got mine i tried a test of it with just water and found that if i didnt have enough in it, it made a mess. Have you tried adding more sanitizer to it?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Am thinking some enterprising soul should write up a sticky with detailed instructions on how to put together a new vinator. I know I futzed with mine for a while before I got it together, and was sure it was defective until it all "clicked."

Plus, I found mine takes quite a few more pumps to get primed than the instructions suggest. But I still love it.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
bembury
Recipes 

Yeah, I've adjusted the volume of water, but I can't seem to make it work without splashing. I think it must be defective.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

I still say it's not snapped down somewhere if it's flowing/splashing out of the base. With all three tabs on mine now securely snapped down,no more flow out of the base. But I do have to jerk it several times to get it to squirt. Gotta prime the pump.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5734 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 569

I take mine apart every time I'm done so it dries evenly. When I use it again, I sometimes have to take it apart and put it back together several times to get it to work, as it also does what you describe. I don't know if it's the spring configuration or the direction of the upper bearing thing.

Quick Reply