Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
greenspider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Decisions

I hope to get some of you guys' opinions here.
My first attempt at brewing went fairly decent. I had alot of fun and it wasn't overly complicated.
I brewed a Munton's kit. It cost me $14.00 plus priming sugar to make almost 5 gallons.
After all is said and done I figure that comes out to (roughly) about $10 per case.
Now that's nice, but it's not "cheap", you can buy Bud for that price on sale around here. Granted, I don't drink Bud so it is a non-issue for me. The beers I prefer to drink, and most often buy, cost me $6-$10 per 6 pack.
$10 dollars a case is the most I would think it should cost for me to do all of the work.
From what I have been able to gather, the cost of a case of home brew is actually higher than $10, am I right?
How much are you all spending per case after all is said and done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4637 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspider View Post
I hope to get some of you guys' opinions here.
My first attempt at brewing went fairly decent. I had alot of fun and it wasn't overly complicated.
I brewed a Munton's kit. It cost me $14.00 plus priming sugar to make almost 5 gallons.
After all is said and done I figure that comes out to (roughly) about $10 per case.
Now that's nice, but it's not "cheap", you can buy Bud for that price on sale around here. Granted, I don't drink Bud so it is a non-issue for me. The beers I prefer to drink, and most often buy, cost me $6-$10 per 6 pack.
$10 dollars a case is the most I would think it should cost for me to do all of the work.
From what I have been able to gather, the cost of a case of home brew is actually higher than $10, am I right?
How much are you all spending per case after all is said and done?
When I was doing extract beers, a typical kit cost about $30-$35, which makes about 53 12 ounce beers.

Now that I buy grain in bulk, most of my 5 gallon batches cost about $15 or so. I also buy hops by the pound, so it's cheaper.

It really depends on the batch- I have one recipe that uses 11 ounces of hops in 5 gallons. Of course, that's going to be more expensive than a batch that uses 1 ounce of hops.

My cheapest recipe that I make routinely is probably the "fizzy yellow beer". I've actually used some homegrown hops in it. I wash and reuse yeast, so I don't buy yeast very often. That "FYB" recipe was under $20 total.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

You'll get a variety of answers on this one. Some people track their costs, some don't.

I don't. I'm more interested in making good beer without regard (to a reasonable extent) to cost. It costs what it costs.

If I had to guess, I'm probably spending more on homebrew than I would for comparable commercial beer.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
Booyagrandma
Recipes 

How are you getting the grand total of 10$ a case from?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Case being 24 beers? Sure, you can do batches for $20 if you go all grain and buy in bulk.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 18

5 gal x (128 oz/gal) x (1 bottle/12 oz) x (1 case/24 bottles) = 2.2 cases

Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Or for the rest of the world:

20L /0.355L (per bottle) /24 = 2.347 Cases.

And to answer the OP's question... the most expensive I've made was an extract Amber, costing 14.36 CAD per case of 24. $33.70 was the price of the ingredients, and a case of Labatt's Blue or Molson Canadian is around $37 or so... last time I checked.

Now that I think about it, the last case I bought was in Erie, PA for a two-four of Sam Adams Boston Lager. That was about $33 (greenbacks, but my memory might be failing me).

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
greenspider
Recipes 

My favorite beer (at least for now) is Erdingers Hefe-Weizen. It costs $18 for an 18 pack. After that I really like New Castle, Lienies 1880 bock, Sam Adams' cream stout and even Michelob's amber bock.
These are fairly pricey quaffs, all. I usually buy Labatt blue because I have drank it for 20+ years and the price is right (used to LOVE Cinci cream and Old Vienna when I could get them). I really can't afford that kind of money too often so I thought maybe I could brew a good ale for cheaper. Just trying to put it all into perspective.

-----Vuarra, My son just got back from the Pinery and told me about the prices of Blue there (my usual standby). I don't know how they sell it for $37 there and I buy it for $16 here (U.S.)?

-----Gremlyn. That is what I am trying to figure out. When I went to the local brewing supply I bought a Muntons heavy scottish ale $14. According to the instructions it was all I needed except priming sugar. When I went to another supply store I mentioned what I was doing, they suggested malted hops, another $14. I'm thinking to myself that after I buy everything I need to make this batch I'm going to have almost $30 bucks into it plus all of the work and the wait of 3-4 weeks.
Hardly seemed worth all the trouble.
I complained about the costs and the guy at store2 says that I just need priming sugar then, that the kit will work without the malted.
The beer I made came out decent, not great but drinkable.
I want to make a good beer/ale like the ones I mentioned above, and I want to make it for less that I can buy it, or I may as well just buy it since I really enjoy the beers I mentioned, and I wont have to work so hard I can just sit down and drink one.
(Hope that makes sense, I know it reads funny)

Reason: after thought

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4637 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Well, in my opinion, homebrewing will never be cheaper than those beers. I know you consider them pricey, but they are really inexpensive compared to many of the "good" beers I drink. That's fine if you like them- keep buying them and enjoying them. I don't care for those beers at all. Most of the beers I really like (Stone IPA, Lakefront Brewery's IPA and Cream City) are $10 a six pack.

Homebrewing really doesn't save money. By the time you consider your equipment costs, gas for the burner or your electricity, water for the chiller, malt, hops, bottle caps, etc, you will be lucky to break even.

It's not about saving money, although we all like to do that. It's about having a hobby. I'm sure that some hobbies (like scuba diving) cost quite a bit more. And some hobbies (gardening) probably save money or break even. But the reality is it is a hobby- making the best product I can and having fun doing it. If I had to justifiy my hobby by cost savings, I would have quit brewing a long time ago.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #10
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Its a 2 sided question and one in which was answered on both sides I think.

Sure, my 'regular' drinkers are around 10-12 bucks a sixer. But once I spent around $40 for a 6er of some craft brews I had never had before. For me, its like Yooper said - I get to make beer that I LOVE to drink (partially cause I made it) and because it makes me feel special cause Yooper sometimes talks to me.
What can I say? Im a sponge for attention... I mean, thats why I still brew to this day - only because Yooper said it was a good idea
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Quick Reply