New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Decision time - which carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Decision time - which carboy

I posted this question a week or so back but probably didn't word it right and the responses didn't help much so I'll try it a different way. I have a 6 1/2 g carboy and a 5 g carboy. I am going to brew my Sinistral Warrior IPA this weekend and will be brewing a holiday recipe next weekend. Both beers will stay in their primary container until bottling time.

Which one should go in the larger carboy? I figure the IPA will be pretty active and I don't want to loose a drop of the hoppy goodness. However I have heard that beers made with fruit really get wild during primary fermentation.

I have a blow off tube so I can control things but I'm looking to the experts here for the best way to go. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Usually fruit beers need to be racked to get separated from the fruit. Do you have a fermenting bucket? If so I would primary one of the two in that and leave the 5 G for the racked fruit beer.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If I time my brewing right I can move the fruited brew into the carboy from the IPA after I bottle it. If not, I may need to do as you suggested & buy a bucket.

Quick Reply