Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Decanting yeast starter
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
bruin_ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 1,434
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBierMann View Post
Did I say big starter? No I said "bigger" starter. I know 1L isn't a big starter, but thanks for going off-topic.
Wow take it easy.. I was trying to figure out if that was a typo because 1L is the smallest starter I ever do and probably too small for a "big beer". I routinely make a 1L starter the day before and pitch the whole thing at high krausen. 2L is where I start to think about decanting.
bruin_ale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Gtrman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 235
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBierMann View Post
I learned that for beers under 1.060 OG to use 600ml with 3 oz of DME for a starter. The one I'm brewing today is 1.080, so I doubled the DME but my starter flask is only a 1L so thats as much water as I used.

I may be incorrect, but I've never had a problem with these techniques. If there is a better technique I'd be interesting in knowing.

Thanks
I'm shocked noone has thrown in a plug for mr malty yet! MrMalty.com has an excellent tool to calculate the proper size for starters. Input your method and your OG and it will give you the necessary volume. As for the amount of DME, the rule I go by is 10 grams of DME for every 100 ml of starter volume.
__________________

Uhhhm...

Gtrman13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,757
Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBierMann
Did I say big starter? No I said "bigger" starter. I know 1L isn't a big starter, but thanks for going off-topic.

I'm not one to tell anyone what they can or cannot do, so do whatever you want. But as a piece of advice, responses like the above make it less likely that people will want to facilitate the following.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBierMann
If there is a better technique I'd be interesting in knowing.
As for starter sizes, mrmalty.com is an excellent resource.
__________________

Fake it til you make it.

BrewKnurd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Pezman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coppell, TX
Posts: 471
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBierMann View Post
I learned that for beers under 1.060 OG to use 600ml with 3 oz of DME for a starter. The one I'm brewing today is 1.080, so I doubled the DME but my starter flask is only a 1L so thats as much water as I used.

I may be incorrect, but I've never had a problem with these techniques. If there is a better technique I'd be interesting in knowing.

Thanks

OK - gotcha, now you got some calculators to work with. If your total liquid volume of the starter is 1 liter or less - regardless of the amount of DME, I would pitch the whole thing and not decant.

Down and dirty yeast starter: 1/2 cup DME in 650 Mls water. Works in anything.....

Pez.
__________________
Pezman1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrman13 View Post
I'm shocked noone has thrown in a plug for mr malty yet! MrMalty.com has an excellent tool to calculate the proper size for starters. Input your method and your OG and it will give you the necessary volume. As for the amount of DME, the rule I go by is 10 grams of DME for every 100 ml of starter volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
i use this site to figure how large of a starter i need for a brew. to make the starter i use 1 g extra light DME per 10 ml of wort. (so 100 g for a 1 L starter, etc.) the 1 g /10 ml ration will get you around ~1.04 for your starter, which is considered the ideal gravity.
i did, just disguised the link as part of the convo.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,757
Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

i did, just disguised the link as part of the convo.
Because he's sneaky like that.
__________________

Fake it til you make it.

BrewKnurd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Because he's sneaky like that.
yep, i'm a regular HBT ninja!
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 1,269
Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
Wow take it easy.. I was trying to figure out if that was a typo because 1L is the smallest starter I ever do and probably too small for a "big beer". I routinely make a 1L starter the day before and pitch the whole thing at high krausen. 2L is where I start to think about decanting.

It came off to me as a condescending question in the way it was written. Now that I know it wasn't I apologize for my response.
__________________
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.
DoubleAught is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 1,269
Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman1 View Post
OK - gotcha, now you got some calculators to work with. If your total liquid volume of the starter is 1 liter or less - regardless of the amount of DME, I would pitch the whole thing and not decant.

Down and dirty yeast starter: 1/2 cup DME in 650 Mls water. Works in anything.....

Pez.
Thanks Pez!
__________________
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.
DoubleAught is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
bruin_ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 1,434
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBierMann View Post
It came off to me as a condescending question in the way it was written. Now that I know it wasn't I apologize for my response.
Got it - internet doesn't convey tone well, apology accepted.
__________________
San Jose Homebrew Club - The Grain Trust
bruin_ale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to stop decanting? jsweet Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 05-13-2011 12:56 PM
decanting vs not decanting yeast starter C2H6O Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 04-10-2011 01:40 PM
Yeast started decanting question earwig Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 02-17-2011 09:37 PM
Decanting proteins? robertbartsch Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 08-28-2010 03:07 PM
Poor yeast starter OR no yeast starter? amh0001 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 11-26-2009 12:40 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS