New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dead yeast and starter F.G.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
WhiskeySix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dead yeast and starter F.G.?

We have had five days of temps over 103*. My order from AHS shipped Monday and arrived on my front porch on Wednesday. It was in the direct sun and 104* for probably 30 minutes or so plus all day in the back of a UPS truck and two day shipping from Texas. The little cold pack was long past being cold. This is a partial grain Blue Moon clone with White Labs 400 Belgian Wit yeast. I put the yeast and Wheat LME in the fridge when I got home. Last night I made a starter and went to bed. No apparent signs of fermentation but no worries yet. Today I made the second stage of the starter and added it to the growler.

Can I take a hydrometer reading of the starter to check for fermentation? I am worried that the yeast didn't survive this heat wave. I planned on brewing this Sunday but obviously not without live yeast.

Semper Fi
Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Sure you can do that. I've resorted to doing that when my starters seemed to do absolutely nothing. Luckily, each time I checked, they had fermented out or were just about finished, but it was good to know for sure.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
WhiskeySix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well the yeast is dead. Absolutely no activity in the starter. Went to the LHBS and bought a Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat. they didn't have any Belgian. Now another starter. Maybe still can brew tomorrow!

Semper Fi
Mark

Quick Reply