The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dead yeast or did i go wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
daum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default dead yeast or did i go wrong?

So yesterday was my first experience in the homebrewing world. Thought it went pretty well considering i only have a hot plate to boil the couple gallons of water on. The problem is that once my wert cooled and was in the primary fermenter(at around 70 degrees) I added the yeast expecting the yeast to go nuts as I had used a can of liquid malt and an extra 3 pounds of dried malt. But nothing happened. I waited...still nothing, this morning nothing. So I looked at the yeast package that came with the can of liquid malt, and it says "Best used before November 6, 2006". So maybe the yeast just died? Any ideas?
Daum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The yeast is probably fine, but it doesn't spring to life upon contact with wort.

Leave it be, give it time. If it doesn't start doing anything in 3 days you might start to think about pitching some new yeast. Until then keep busy planning your next batch.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, what B-D said. It's not instantaneous "magic", but magical just the same.

12-48 hours is usually the norm. I bet it'll be gurgling away when you get home tonight.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
daum
Recipes 

I'll check on it when I get home, hopefully it will be bubbling. My other question is my room is most likely going to be around 70 ish degrees, depending on how my little AC can do. Is this ok? From what I understand it is on the warmish side? Also, I read some people have had extremely quick firmentations, is there a good way to check on when the fermentation is done without a hydrometer?

Thanks again,
Daum

Old 06-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
pfranco81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daum
My other question is my room is most likely going to be around 70 ish degrees, depending on how my little AC can do. Is this ok? From what I understand it is on the warmish side? Also, I read some people have had extremely quick firmentations, is there a good way to check on when the fermentation is done without a hydrometer?
yeah, 70 is on the warm side but still acceptable, 74 is when you start to be too warm. You can always put your fermenter in a water bath and add ice to keep it cool, that's what I've had to start doing.

Even after the fermentation you want to leave your yeast in there to clean up after them selves. Most people suggest the 1-2-3 method which is 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 3 in the bottle. For most ales that will work fine. If you only have a primary than just do 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in the bottle.
Nothing.
Drinking : Apfelwein, and a Honey Wheat.

Medic: Young man, you've ingested a dangerous amount of alcohol!
Homer: The only dangerous amount is none!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

pfranco81 is right. The 1-2-3 is sure fire.

But...without a hydrometer you may be missing a chance to speed things up a bit.

I've had beers ferment to their terminal gravity in less than 30 hours. If I didn't have a hydro, I wouldn't have known that and I would have let the beer sit around "wasting time" in the primary for an extra few days.

A hydrometer is cheap and it's how you know the progess of your beer and the ABV% of what you're drinking/serving.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
daum
Recipes 

Aye, I am itching to get to drinking this....Maybe i'll see how much the hydrometer costs, seeing how i am on the budget, haven't even bought the siphon/bottling bucket/bottle capper and what not.

since my room is a warmer temperature it should ferment much quicker right?

Thanks,
Daum

Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
pfranco81
Recipes 

Yeah it'll ferment faster, but it'll also create a lot of things you dont want like fusel alcohols (which give you hang overs) and esters which are odd smells. My first beer which i just bottled smells like a fruit bowl because it fermented at too high a temperature.

If you want good beer, dont rush it. That's why I bought 2 other fermenters, to keep myself occupied with other brews.

Nothing.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
daum
Recipes 

i'll have to check up on what temperature my room is, hopefully it was cool....Is a refridgerator too cold for the yeast? Since I could fit it in my fridge. This batch we were hoping for a strong, yet better than colt 45, tasting beer. Had cascade hops, a can of liquid malt(with some hops already in it i believe), a 3 pound dry malt. The hops we put in smelled really good, hope that the room temp doesn't ruin it.
Daum

Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
pfranco81
Recipes 

It won't ruin it, just make it.... interesting. I'm a St. Ides man myself. Ale yeasts should be in the 60s at the coldest so i tink your fridge is probably too cold. Putting it in an ice-bath works well, that' what I do.

Nothing.

Quick Reply