Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is it dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
go_inbroke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is it dead?

Put a batch in the fermentor 5 days ago. (Multi-Grain Red with Safale S-04) OG @ 1.057. Little activity through the airlock, but foam on the wort for 3 days. Now no activity. Took a reading and it came in @ 1.02. I'm used to 1.01 after at least two weeks. Question: Should I wait and take another reading in 10 days or re-pitch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty new to brewing but honestly I would not even be looking at it at the 5 day mark. If it were me I would be asking like you are but would wait until at least 10 days to take a FG on it and wouldn't do anything with until at least 14 days. The IPA I have in Ferment has been in 14 days and I haven't even touched it. I'll take a gravity this Thursday and may bottle this coming Saturday if it's ready.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
go_inbroke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is my 5th batch and I am worried because of the lack of airlock activity. I have always had good, aggressive, yeast activity.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of the progress of the fermentation. I'll repeat that for emphasis: Airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of the progress of the fermentation.

Leave it alone. Don't take a reading or otherwise touch it until it's been 2 weeks.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
go_inbroke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the kick in the patience. Mine is located under my back pocket....

Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Damage View Post
Airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of the progress of the fermentation. I'll repeat that for emphasis: Airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of the progress of the fermentation.

Leave it alone. Don't take a reading or otherwise touch it until it's been 2 weeks.
Word. To help with the impatience, I brew more
Old 09-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #7
go_inbroke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Drank it all...

Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #8
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Your airlock bubbling or not bubbling doesn't mean your beer has stalled or not, all it means is that your airlock isn't bubbling.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock. Or airlocks can start or stop or start and stop again, for a ton of other reasons, like temp changes, getting nudged by the cat or the vacuum cleaner, changes in barometric pressure, but your beer could still be fermenting fine.

Or the co2 is coming out the lid, or the grommet or the stopper. Nothing wrong with that, if co2 is getting out, nothing nasty is getting in.

Airlock activity is irrevelent. Just gravity points on a hydrometer.

The rate or lack of or whether or not it bubbles at all, or if it starts and stops has more relation to the environment the fermenter is in, rather than fermentation itself. All it is is a vent, a valve to let our excess gas, especially co2, nothing else. It's not a fermentation gauge whatsoever.

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.

I've never EVER needed to re-pitch, and I've been brewing more than lkely far longer than you have....Take a gravity reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Airlock activity is irrevelent. Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks, or size of krausen, or a calendar, the horoscope or the phases of the moon (those things in my mind are equally accurate).

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

You took a gravity reading, so you KNOW fermentation is happening, REGARDLESS of your stupid airlock.

It's fine.

see the above

-=Jason=-

Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't like the advice that airlock activity isn't a good determinant of fermentation. I know that it is the gospel of Revvy and many here. But from a purely scientific standpoint, fermentation produces CO2. No two ways about it. If you are fermenting, you are producing CO2. If you have a sealed system, the co2 MUST go someplace - and that place is out of the airlock. If you have a perfectly airtight system, and you are fermenting. You WILL have airlock activity. If you don't, you are not fermenting. End of story. I know this is a point of contention and that's fine. But science is science. No two ways about it.

I know that hydrometer readings are far more accurate. That is what you should go by. Its what I do go by. But saying airlock activity isn't a good measurement of fermentation, it's just not right.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
I don't like the advice that airlock activity isn't a good determinant of fermentation. I know that it is the gospel of Revvy and many here. But from a purely scientific standpoint, fermentation produces CO2. No two ways about it. If you are fermenting, you are producing CO2. If you have a sealed system, the co2 MUST go someplace - and that place is out of the airlock. If you have a perfectly airtight system, and you are fermenting. You WILL have airlock activity. If you don't, you are not fermenting. End of story. I know this is a point of contention and that's fine. But science is science. No two ways about it.

I know that hydrometer readings are far more accurate. That is what you should go by. Its what I do go by. But saying airlock activity isn't a good measurement of fermentation, it's just not right.

I don't use airlocks I use blow off tubes, I could care less about bubbles, if I get krausen I know the yeast are working. I don't remove beer for at least 2 weeks only then will I take a hydro reading.

-=Jason=-

Quick Reply