Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Day 7 in the bottle pic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
mackinskor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Day 7 in the bottle pic

A bit of carbonation for day 7, not GREAT head, but a little. I also noticed the taste is there (orange, lemon, cascade hops) but it feels a little wimpy going down. Is there anything I can add to add a little more body? Add more extract? I'm eventually going to go AG method, but this was my first recipe I came up with and used what I had available -- hey it's only the start of my 2nd month!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

They're Just not really ready yet.

The 3 weeks at 70 is only a "suggestion" or rule of thumb for low to average grav beers....below 1.060...But each beer is different and the gravity the longer it takes.

Read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning, for more info...

All you need to do is make sure it's above seventy degrees, and walk away for a couple more weeks.

NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED....once it is fully carbed and conditioned, it will have a different mouthfeel and body to it...but right now it isn't there....Yet.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinskor View Post
. . . but it feels a little wimpy going down. Is there anything I can add to add a little more body? Add more extract?
Well, you can do lots of things, but I think the best approach is to leave it, wait and let it mature, and enjoy it. Make a note that the next time you brew this recipe that you'd like to add a little body to it and adjust the recipe. Just my two cents!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
mackinskor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED....once it is fully carbed and conditioned, it will have a different mouthfeel and body to it...but right now it isn't there....Yet.

I am hoping the body and, as you say, mouthfeel, changes over the next 7-10 days at least but as for now, yes, it does taste and feel a bit wimpy

Old 12-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
GrizlyGarou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinskor View Post
I am hoping the body and, as you say, mouthfeel, changes over the next 7-10 days at least but as for now, yes, it does taste and feel a bit wimpy
You're much stronger now than you were when you were six years old. It'll be very different once it's carbed up and conditioned. I'd be willing to bet you still have yeast in suspension in the bottles, which means there's still sugar that has yet to be turned into alcohol and CO2. And once they drop out, you still need to let them do whatever it is that they do that makes us love them so much.

Drinking green beers can be a very useful experience for your future brewing, though. I like to use at least one clear bottle for every batch so I can check to see how much yeast is still swimming around. Just hold it up to a light and look through it and you can see the little specks. Once they drop out, there is a drastic change.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are uncomfortable with the mouthfeel of the final product, you can adjust your recipe by adding maltodextrine or carapils. Both will increase mouthfeel or body.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
thenbagis
Recipes 

Pappers-

Quote:
Well, you can do lots of things
What are those things?
- Malto Dextrin - Increase fermentables and non-fermentables (more Body?)
- More Specialty gains - Increase non-fermentables (more body?)
- More priming sugar? would increased carbonation add "body"?
- Parital mash or AG - add additional proteins not included in extract?

Just a few ideas from a noob... didn't know if I was on track?

Quick Reply