Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dark sludge on the bottom of bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
wolffm25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default dark sludge on the bottom of bottle

Its been a week since I bottled my first batch of brew and I just noticed a thin layer of a dark muddy substance at the bottom of my bottles. When i siphoning i didnt notice any sediment flowing thru the tub. Will the sludge disolve or is my beer ruined? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's yeast sediment. Yeast still in your beer is finishing up eating the sugar you primed with, and is taking a nap at the bottom of your bottle. That's good. That means your brew isn't some pasteurized, dead piss like bud lite. It's alive and fresh and getting better with each moment.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Markusface
Recipes 

Just don't drink the stuff if you're sharing a bed with someone...

Or try it... could be a laugh

Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale Almost gone :( t'were delicious!
Mysteriously Disappeared: Some Random Dark Ale - Cooper's Bavarian Lager - Mexican Cerveza - Black Sheep Export Bitter - Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 06-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yep, just dormant yeast. It's usually a lighter color but perhaps it's your strain. In some beers like Hefeweizen it is often desireable to mix this with the beer, imparting a hazy, bready taste.
Like Marcus said if you drink the sediment it will cause gas. It's also a natural laxative and is high in vitamin B12 - which will help with a hangover if you should drink a few six packs.

Quick Reply