Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Danstar Nottingham pitching..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
mandal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Danstar Nottingham pitching..

Hi,

I am not going to re-hydrate my nottingham yeast this time since it is my first home brew..

So my Question is:

I am brewing my first home brew today so i was wondering, what temperature it is best to pitch Nottingham dry yeast into the wort?

And what air temperature should i put my fermenting bucket in?

I have read that it can get a taste of banana if the temperature is to high.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4619 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 903

Nottingham works from about 59 degrees F to 72 degrees F. For best results, I like to keep the fermenter temperature no higher than about 65 degrees. I have a stick-on thermometer on the side of the fermenter, to monitor the temperature inside. The air temperature may be quite a bit different than the temperature inside, because fermentation produces heat. If you can keep the air temperature at 62-65 degrees, though, that will be pretty good.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I have found Notty to be bad to produce fusels at high fermentation temps. You should probably keep it in the low 60's to avoid the off flavors and headaches.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
mandal
Recipes 

So i would be best to pitch the yeast on the wort at 62-64 degrees F?
And keep the air temperature where i store my fermenter at the same temperature?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandal View Post
So i would be best to pitch the yeast on the wort at 62-64 degrees F?
And keep the air temperature where i store my fermenter at the same temperature?

It is best to pitch in the range you mentioned, and keep the beer at that temp as it ferments. If you keep the air at that temp the beer could be up to 10 degrees higher when it is fermenting.

If you put the carboy into a large tub and monitor the temp of that water you can add frozen bottles of water to keep the temp in check.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
mandal
Recipes 

I dont have that opportunity here in my appartment, what will happend if i put the fermenter in 62-64 F ?

And how long should i let the fermenter stay in that temprature before i bottle the beer?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There's nothing difficult to rehydrating. You just need to use 2 cups of water to 1 pack of notty. Use a thermometer to make sure your water is in the 85-95 degree range, sprinkle the packet on top of the water, don't stir, wait 15 minutes with the solution covered, stir up the yeast and pitch. You'll ensure better yeast viability that way, especially if you're doing a higher gravity brew.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandal View Post
I dont have that opportunity here in my appartment, what will happend if i put the fermenter in 62-64 F ?

And how long should i let the fermenter stay in that temprature before i bottle the beer?
You'll be fine, you may get some slight esters from nottingham if it gets too high, but most people just ferment at room temp and it turns out pretty good.

Just let it sit for 3 weeks at that temp, then carefully siphon into your bottling bucket (with priming sugar) and bottle. The extra time on the yeast cake lets the yeast clean up a bit of the esters. I do all my beers at 3 weeks or more in the fermenter.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
mandal
Recipes 

I am brewing a muntons continental pilsner 3 kg, i was told that this kit should be good for a newbee..

What temperature should i ferment my bottles in ? Is it ok to ferment at 70 degrees F after i have bottle?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

yes you should condition bottles at 70 degrees. There's much less actual fermentation happening during bottle conditioning.

Quick Reply