Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cutting a hole for Primary Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
D-AB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Cutting a hole for Primary Fermentation?

The bucket that I was given my LHBS had a lid without a hole for the airlock to be placed in. I cut a hole of good size but there is one little knick that you can see where the airlock doesn't completely seal. I know gas will leak from this. Is this going to cause a problem in fermentation? And I am assuming that my airlock will not bubble now?

Also this is my first all grain batch! And I am super excited to see the outcome!

Thank You!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't worry, it is really not that critical that the primary be 100% sealed. If it makes you feel better, wrap some plastic cling wrap around the air lock to make seal better, but anyways, you are fine.

Or you could look for a rubber grommet to make a seal, but don't think I would bother.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
D-AB Likes This 
Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A hole wasn't necessary. Plenty of us have used buckets with a loose lid to ferment. Remember, the only point of an airlock is to allow the co2 to escape or "leak" without letting the outside air carry other things in. But since you already cut the hole, if you cut it to the airlock size and there is a gap... I would suggest cutting a larger hole with a spade bit or hole cutter and using a drilled rubber stopper. That should plug the hole and allow for an airlock.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

People Like This 
Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

usually the hole is cut a little larger to accomadate a rubber grommet. Even then sometimes finding the correct grommet is troublesome and over time the hole cracked on mine. What I did was cut a 1" hole (hole saw, not exactly sure on the size) and use a better bottle stopper with hole for my airlock. Works perfectly and the 1" hole is perfect for peeking and not opening the lid.

**Just realized maffewl beat me to it on the rubber stopper idea. Trust me it works perfect. My suggestion is buy the rubber stopper first then find a hole bit that matches before you drill.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Actually, the concern isn't so much gas leaking out, as other things getting in... During the most active phases of fermentation, there's a healthy amount of CO2 coming out of there that should prevent other stuff from falling in (though it might not prevent small insects, like fruit flies, from entering!). But once fermentation slows down, or once you're into the conditioning phase of fermentation, dust particles could potentially fall into there. Unlikely? Sure. But it could happen.

Your safest be would be to find a way to seal that gap up - drill out a larger hole and install a grommet for your airlock, maybe?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You can ferment in a bucket without an airlock. Basically the fermenting beer produces CO2 which is heavier than air and creates a barrier to help keep out bad things. This method might increase the likelihood of contamination slightly, but I wouldn't worry too much. About the airlock bubbling, I guess it depends on the size of the hole near it. The airlock needs pressure to bubble up.

I personally wouldn't stress about it too much, but you may want to move up in fermenter at some point, or fix the hole like mentioned above. Welcome to the hobby and the forum.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I second the holesaw and stopper idea if it bothers you. Or if you can find a grommet of the proper size, that'll work also.

Though I seriously doubt you'll get an infected batch from that little knick, sometimes peace of mind is worth the extra work.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
D-AB
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks all!

I will leave it be for this batch seeing there is no real opposing threat. Once the bucket is free I will cut a bigger hole (with a hole saw), plug it and drill to fit an airlock! I like to have things as perfect at I can get them, and yeah it just adds to the peace of mind!

Thanks again, it was all great advice!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Soak a wash cloth or rag in StarSan and wrap it around the base of the airlock stopper, swap it out when it dries out.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
ak-71
Recipes 

I found a spade bit run in reverse to be a good cheap tool for the job. Since rubber is soft I would try clean and round the cut with a knife to seal the airlock

Quick Reply