Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cutting 5 gal batch in half?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
rob211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
I hate LME for that reason. Maybe tare a scale with a ceramic bowl on it, add LME to the bowl until you get the correct weight, and put the entire bowl into your boil. Alternatively, you could use boil water to rinse out the bowl.
As far as mixing goes, I assume it's like putting any heavier substance into a lighter one: mix it in smallish amounts gradually adding water and then into the pot. No lumps that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #22
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

No matter what I end up with big globs of LME in the kettle. They eventually get smaller and smaller and then disappear. I've never had an issue with them not disappearing, though.

Also, if you didn't already know, make sure to turn off the heat when you add LME. You don't want it to scorch on the bottom.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob211 View Post
BTW, what are good techniques for measuring and managing LME? It's a messy business even if using the whole container (bags in my case). I have a scale, but every transfer loses a bunch when stuck on containers and such. Would heating it in a water bath first help?
When emptying a pouch, I roll it up from one corner in folds - maybe 3/4" each. Squeeze out each fold. When finished, it looks like very little left. I also tried pouring some of the hot wort back in and sloshing it back and forth in the pouch. Wasn't as happy with that method, but it might be worth a try.

Quick Reply