Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cutting 5 gal batch in half?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
Nobody has commented on splitting the yeast. I'd lean toward using a dry packet (without rehydrating) or a smack pack (without a starter) for each half size batch. Any other opinions?
It depends on your target OG and yeast selection. Run it through MrMalty MrMa to be sure. You should be fine rehydrating 1/2 of an 11 gram dry pack for a 2.5 gallon batch below 1.050 OG. You can save the other half (taped and in the fridge) for the next 2.5 gallon batch.

My next planned batch will be a 2.3 gallon extract brew with an expected OG of 1.059. Since I'll be fermenting with Nottingham at a cool 55F, I'll pitch the whole 11g pack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
TexanRudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post

It depends on your target OG and yeast selection. Run it through MrMalty MrMa to be sure. You should be fine rehydrating 1/2 of an 11 gram dry pack for a 2.5 gallon batch below 1.050 OG. You can save the other half (taped and in the fridge) for the next 2.5 gallon batch.

My next planned batch will be a 2.3 gallon extract brew with an expected OG of 1.059. Since I'll be fermenting with Nottingham at a cool 55F, I'll pitch the whole 11g pack.
Are ya'll fermenting half batches in a full size bucket/carboy? Is too much headspace a concern or is that mostly for the secondary?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanRudeboy

Are ya'll fermenting half batches in a full size bucket/carboy? Is too much headspace a concern or is that mostly for the secondary?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Mostly for secondary. Fermentation produces enough CO2 to protect the wort from oxygen.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #14
TexanRudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post

Mostly for secondary. Fermentation produces enough CO2 to protect the wort from oxygen.
Thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
[FONT="Georgia"]It depends on your target OG and yeast selection. Run it through MrMalty MrMa to be sure. You should be fine rehydrating 1/2 of an 11 gram dry pack for a 2.5 gallon batch below 1.050 OG. You can save the other half (taped and in the fridge) for the next 2.5 gallon batch.FONT]
Technically, I agree. But I'm a little paranoid about sanitation. I don't think I would trust the other half taped and stored in the fridge - including how to sanitize an open packet before using the other half. And weighing out half seems risky as far as sanitation. I would rather "waste" half of a packet than risk a batch of beer.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I would rather "waste" half of a packet than risk a batch of beer.
Understood and I share those concerns. I did go ahead and use a whole 11g pack of Nottingham (rehydrated) on that batch I brewed last night. It ended up a hair over 2.5 gallons and had a measured OG of 1.050, but it is being kept at 55F which will certainly slow the whole thing down.

Right now, it looks like it's just now getting started. I don't plan on checking the FG for 3 weeks due to the lower temp.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 26

[QUOTE=BigFloyd;4780882][FONT="Georgia"]Understood and I share those concerns. I did go ahead and use a whole 11g pack of Nottingham (rehydrated) on that batch I brewed last night. It ended up a hair over 2.5 gallons and had a measured OG of 1.050, but it is being kept at 55F which will certainly slow the whole thing down. QUOTE]

Nottingham is advertized as producing a lager flavor when fermented at lower temperature. Have you found this to be true?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #18
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Nottingham is advertized as producing a lager flavor when fermented at lower temperature. Have you found this to be true?
I guess I'll find out with this batch. It's my first go with Notty and I was advised by those who have done it to use the lower temp since I can simply set it with my controller.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
rob211
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

BTW, what are good techniques for measuring and managing LME? It's a messy business even if using the whole container (bags in my case). I have a scale, but every transfer loses a bunch when stuck on containers and such. Would heating it in a water bath first help?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 241 Posts

I hate LME for that reason. Maybe tare a scale with a ceramic bowl on it, add LME to the bowl until you get the correct weight, and put the entire bowl into your boil. Alternatively, you could use boil water to rinse out the bowl.

Quick Reply