*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is cut aluminum trashcan around propane burner safe for windscreen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
anico4704
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Is cut aluminum trashcan around propane burner safe for windscreen

I am using a Bayou Classic Propane burner and I was having huge wind problems for my first few brews. I recently cut the bottom off of an aluminum garbage can for a windscreen around it. I also cut a 6 inch piece out of the side all the way from top to bottom for the hose and what not to fit through. It works extremely well, but is there any safety concerns there? I am mainly concerned about propane gasses getting trapped in the bottom under the pot and burner and basically causing explosive fumes. I have used this about 4 or 5 times with no issues, but I am just checking

p.s. I use this every time i brew even if it isn't windy, but it is completely out in the open that I use this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Acually thats a great idea!!!! I don't think you should have any issues as long as the burner is going. Wind or even a light breeze would quickly dissipate any propane that would collect if the burner was left on without being lit. Since propane is heavier than air, you could lift the can a few inches before you light it just to be safe. I would just make sure the hose from the tank isn't rubbing any sharp edges.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
tgmartin000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Should be fine ..I wrapped some window screen around mine.

Quick Reply