Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Curse of the 1.02?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
bonzombiekitty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cercueil View Post
+1 to this. I had many extract beers that finished around 1.020. I tried DME and LME and tried different maltsters but only some of my beers went below 1.020. In this case it looks like it may have been the fermentation temp. You can try this which I've read on this site before. Get a cheap aquarium heater and see if you can put you fermentation bucket into a larger bucket that you can fill with water. Try to adjust the temp on the heater so that the water around the fermentation bucket is about 70. Hopfully it can wake the yeast up. Good luck.
The fermentation temp should be correct for the yeast I used. Safale S-04 suggested temp range is 59 to 75. Ambient temp never fell below 61 and was usually at 64. Granted, 70 would be more ideal, but I've never had this problem before using the same yeast under similar (or colder) conditions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 35

How did you handle the Maris Otter?

i.e., what was the possible 'mess up'

Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
How did you handle the Maris Otter?

i.e., what was the possible 'mess up'
I might not have mashed it at the right temp. I misjudged the strike water temp so the temp was too low. I tried to adjust, which brought the temp up too high. Seeing as how the maris otter was only 1lb, it shouldn't have had too much of an effect, but I thought it might be a possibility.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I might not have mashed it at the right temp. I misjudged the strike water temp so the temp was too low. I tried to adjust, which brought the temp up too high. Seeing as how the maris otter was only 1lb, it shouldn't have had too much of an effect, but I thought it might be a possibility.
Yeah, I doubt that's it.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
Soulrebel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoar15 View Post
The very last extract IPA I made finished at 1.02 with Pacman.
I haven't had that problem since I switched to all grain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
In my opinion, the 1.020 curse has to do mostly with malt extract and underpitching. First, extract usually contains unfermentables. For example, Briess malts already contain carapils. On top of this, you added dextrin malt AND crystal. As far as underpitching, one 11g packet is usually enough for a 5 gal 1.050 batch as long as you rehydrate it properly. Otherwise, use this pitching rate calculator.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
I think these posts are your answer. The extract you start with deserves some consideration when formulating recipes. The fermentability and ingredients that are used to create the extract play a significant role in your final product. You may be adding dextrins upon dextrins. If you bring up the fermentation temp and the gravity stays the same, your done. I have thrown back many 1.020 beers with delight. I use Briess for example. the details (as much as they provide) below.

CBW® Golden Light

Lovibond FAN Unique Characteristics/Applications
4.0°
(8 °Plato) LME 3500
DME 4200
(syrup As-Is) Excellent light-colored pure malt extract. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation.
Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt.

also... http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...enLightDME.pdf

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I swung by the LHBS after work and got another pack of yeast and dumped it in there. At worst I'm out a couple dollars. I'll move over to secondary on saturday morning I think. I have too much cooking to do friday night.

Quick Reply