Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > crystal malt source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
FSBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default crystal malt source

I spent a couple of hours on an airplane today happily reading my Joy of Homebrewing book, and the more I read the more certain I am that I will need crystal malt for the sorts of recipes that sound good to me. I have searched on a couple of web sites I randomly found for home brew supplies but I can not find this item individually. Can someone recommend a vendor for buying crystal malt?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Crystal malt is sold idividually by color (Lovibond units) on all brewing websites and in homebrew shops...it's probably the most common ly used type of grain after 2-row (maybe even more so since it is used both in extract with grains AND All grain Brewing).

It is sometimes called Caramel Malt...and it is still listed with it's lovibond unit.

Our wiki article explains the differences between the Lovibonds.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Crystal_malt

Here's the list per pound on Austin Homebrew Supplies http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_71_111

Here's the list on Northern Brewer

http://northernbrewer.com/grainmalts.html

Where do you live? Is there a homebrew shop in your town?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Check with your LHBS.

Shipping can start get expensive on grains.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

The basic brewing video from jan. Compares 3 different Lovibonds of Crystal.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=january-28-2008-specialty-grains

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Thanks to all. The wiki was helpful. I guess I should spend some time there. Thanks for the Austin link. I guess because the word "malt" did not appear in the title so it threw me off.

No LHBS where I am presently living, and it takes 2-3 weeks to get stuff by mail order. There are a couple of microbreweries, maybe I can see if they can sell me any supplies. The closest one makes mediocre beer which always gives me a headache.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSBrewer View Post
Thanks to all. The wiki was helpful. I guess I should spend some time there. Thanks for the Austin link. I guess because the word "malt" did not appear in the title so it threw me off.

No LHBS where I am presently living, and it takes 2-3 weeks to get stuff by mail order. There are a couple of microbreweries, maybe I can see if they can sell me any supplies. The closest one makes mediocre beer which always gives me a headache.
Although I've never ordered from them (I have 3 LHB's within a 30-40 minute drive from me) Austin Homebrew Supply has a great reputation, and Forrest the owner is an active member of the forum...Not just as someone shilling for his business, but a real participant on the boards.

And if you ever have questions about his products, he's always willing to answer, and offer suggestions.

Quick Reply