Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Crystal Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
ummm_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Crystal Grains

I'm about to make my second batch of beer (first time on my own). I decided to use a recipe I found in this book "Extreme Brewing" by Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head. It's a Brown Ale that looks easy to make. The recipe calls for 1/2 pound of "crystal-crushed specialty grain." Anyone have a pointer on what exactly I should get? I was looking online and saw lots of different crystal grains, like 40L, 60L, 90L, etc. What kind should I use for a brown ale? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Any of those would probably work well. The lighter (40L) will be more of a sweet caramel flavor, the darker starts getting a little bit more bittersweet, a little more dark-fruit once you get up to 90L. Any of those flavors would be fine in a brown ale. I'd probably go with 60L, that's kind of a standard medium-crystal.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
realestatecat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what does the "L" stand for?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

"Lovibond." It's a measure of color, although with crystal malts different lovibonds also have different flavors. Lighter crystals (10L - 20L) add very little color, but also add very little flavor other than a sweetness. Darker crystals (90L - 120L) add more color, but even more important have a less direct sweetness, more of a bittersweetness, and have some raisen/plum/other "dark" fruit notes.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I like C60L to C90L in Browns.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply