Crummy makeshift fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishkin

Reaction score
What things have you guys used as fermenters?

I'm planning on using this as a secondary fermenter if it is safe to. It's a 20L barrel that contained vegetable oil. I got it from work cos they said they were going to throw it out anyway. It's perfect cos it even has a little tap at the bottom. It will fit enough beer in it but it will be right up to the top i'm pretty sure. Do you need to leave a big gap at the top? I'm only going to use it for secondary so it should be fine since there wont be very much fermentation action at all.
I know I need to give it a really good clean with boiling water a few times and sterilizer.
Also I'm going to use the 'cling wrap with a pinhole in it' method as my airlock.

What do you guys reckon? Is it safe to use?

03-03-06_1700.jpg

Ah, I see you have the Coopers fermenter in the background. That's what I use for a primary and bottling bucket. It's pretty cool.

If I was you, for a secondary, if you don't have or can't get a glass carboy, I would use the Coopers primary for that as well. Just stick a plastic hose in the spigot and drain your brew into something clean (then cover it), just long enough to clean out all the trub and resanitize it. Then siphon back into the primary.

You couldn't start a new batch right away, but you might not be interested in that.

If you are dead set on using the vegetable oil can, I would drill a hole in the cap big enough for a stopper with an airlock.

Haha yeah that's a coopers fermenter indeed. Do they sell them in the US?
I am pretty dead set on using the oil can because it didnt cost me anything and I like making things myself. You're probably right about getting a proper airlock for it just to be safe.
I'm just worried about the actual container causing contamination or off flavours. I'm pretty sure it's made from aluminium.

No!!! Not aluminum!!!

Actually, I don't know what harm aluminum causes, but I've heard a lot of different rumors about it being a reactive metal that can create off flavors. I can't back that up though. I've been using glass carboys from the very beginning, except for my first brew in the plastic bucket, and while I don't want to say that glass is the only way to go, it certainly works, and it's not too expensive. I'd just hate to see someone waste a lot of effort making a perfectly good beer only to have the container be the factor that brings it down.
But to each his own, and if you're bent on doing it this way, then more power to you. But I would use your plastic what's-it before the vegetable oil container. For one thing, the nooks and crannies could contain protein remnants which could eventually cause contamination problems. Also, unless you're especially handy with tools, rigging an airlock on there could be less than airtight and compromise your cleanliness.
Either way you've got the brew bug, and that will eventually guide you to great beer. Best of luck!

My first ever attempt at brewing was when I was seventeen, at summer camp. I had learned enough of the basic theory that I thought I could do it. So, some friends and me "acquired" an empty jug from a water cooler, and a bunch of honey, molasses, and bakers yeast from the kitchen. We mixed it all up with some tapwater, and duct-taped a rubber glove over the top, then stashed the whole deal in a convenient corner. Of course, we knew nothing of the importance of sanitation or proper ingredients. All i knew was that sugar + yeast = alchohol.

Well, a couple of weeks later, the second glove popped, and I declared it done. We scooped of the bits of mold and poured ourselves some... Well, I really don't know what you would call it. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't all that bad. It did get us nicely buzzed, but it wasn't really great either. However, just thinking about it now, I think I might try to recreate this beverage, although with proper sanitation, and champagne yeast. Could be interesting...

Since that can is used for food stuff, it's probably coated on the inside with either a varnish or a non-reactive metal. I'd say give it shot, what have you got to lose? Also, you may be able to find a big enough stopper for that hole so that modification will not be needed. Check online, there are a ton of sizes.

Mishkin said:
Aren't kegs made from aluminium?

Some are/were, but you will find that most Sanke kegs from the mega brews are stainless now, as far as I know. At least, the plain ole A.B. keg that I bought was, as are the ones that my brother uses for boiling lobster.

The only thing I would be worried about is cleaning it. It seems like the inside would be hard to get good-and-clean since you'll be working through that capped hole and can't SEE inside to know if you got it well enough.

Also, is the spigot on it removable so that you can clean it out well?

-walker

Vegetable oil can be a bugger to clean. It seems like it would be hard to get the sides and bottom free of oil through that little opening in the top. Generally you would need to soap and scrub repeatedly to get rid of all the oil and especially the oil smell.
Unless there's some kind of chemical or something that can be used for that...

Mishkin said:
Haha yeah that's a coopers fermenter indeed. Do they sell them in the US?

Yes sirre bob! It was part of a complete micro-brewery kit that I bought through Amazon.com. It shipped from somewhere here in the states. Every home brew shop I have ever been in (not that many, really) had all sorts of Coopers extracts for sale. They are popular here. Some people buy the Coopers carbonation drops. Never seen the fermenter in one, but they are sold here.

I like the chick who is in the Coopers demonstartion video when you buy the micro-brewery kit. By chance, do you have her phone number?? ;)

I'd use the oil can for grain storage, NOT for brewing. It is not harmless Aluminum, but STEEL! Any bare spot inside will put iron into the beer, wrecking it. I've heard of tooo many enameled pots wrecking beer once they get a chip inside and put rust into the beer.

Doesn't the same restaraunt get anything in plastic buckets? Here in California, they get pickles, mayonaise, relish, sour cream...gobs of stuff in the perfect plastic fermenters... check out the dumpsters, look for beer bottles too...

I'm guessing it's a piece of plastic wrap with a tiny hole in it secured over the big opening. :)

gas could get out through the little opening, but the opening is sooo small, there is a low risk of something gettig INTO it.

-walker

I'd personally not use it as a secondary because it seems a lot of fuss to try and clean it properly both initially and then again over the long term. If you want to stay 'free equipment' i'd look out for the big food quality tubs that Casebrew suggested as a primary and use your Coopers Fermenter for secondary.

beyondthepale said:
My first ever attempt at brewing was when I was seventeen, at summer camp. I had learned enough of the basic theory that I thought I could do it. So, some friends and me "acquired" an empty jug from a water cooler, and a bunch of honey, molasses, and bakers yeast from the kitchen. We mixed it all up with some tapwater, and duct-taped a rubber glove over the top, then stashed the whole deal in a convenient corner. Of course, we knew nothing of the importance of sanitation or proper ingredients. All i knew was that sugar + yeast = alchohol.

Well, a couple of weeks later, the second glove popped, and I declared it done. We scooped of the bits of mold and poured ourselves some... Well, I really don't know what you would call it. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't all that bad. It did get us nicely buzzed, but it wasn't really great either. However, just thinking about it now, I think I might try to recreate this beverage, although with proper sanitation, and champagne yeast. Could be interesting...

***MOMENTARY THREAD THEFT ALERT***Awesome story! It reminded me of some of the stuff my mates and I would drink when we were 17. Old beer, warm beer, didn't matter. Schlitz was the "cool" beer then. Jeff
***NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD***

Mishkin,

I think the idea in itself is alright, but you'd probably find that the repeated cleaning of the canister would become a real bugger in the long run. I doubt you'd be able to clean it to a satisfactory level without going on for a long while, as you'd need to run that much water through it due to not being able to scrub it properly.

As an alternative suggestion; Do you live anywhere near Wantirna? I've been to the market there a few times and at least twice I've seen some nice glass carboys that I'd guess were about 20-25 litres. If I remember right they were cheap, too - $10-20 range. Haven't been near there since I started brewing though, so regrettably didn't get one myself.

Personally, I use a plastic secondary - same as my primary. It's not the Cooper's one, but practically identical to it. Works fine for me. My main reason for wanting a glass one would be the charm of seeing the beer better.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Back