Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Crown Top Beer Bottles Available in Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Bear85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Crown Top Beer Bottles Available in Canada

Hey,

A friend and I just decided to give home-brewing a try, something we've always wanted to do but never gotten around to.

So we're trying to build a collection of bottles we can use, but it seems most of the brands use screw top bottles, which I guess we can't use (?).

Does anyone know of a widely available beer that uses the crown top bottle so we can get drinking and start collecting?

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
SOB_OCDAVE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Corona or Heineken, but then you have the issue of uv light causing off flavors. Go check out the sixers at the local supermarket and liquor store. You should be able to tell which bottles are twist offs and which are pop tops. Gook luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Anything from Sam adams

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You CAN cap Canadian twist offs with a little bit more effort.

I have capped thousands of Canadian twist-offs without any problem with my bench capper and know of others who have done it with a wing capper. I have heard from those who have seen both that American twist-offs are much thinner glass and not designed to be re-capped, however the Canadian ones are just fine for capping.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
philjohnwilliams
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have capped hundreds of twist off with no problems. However, last year I started buying 22oz crown cap bottles from my LHBS and love them. They cap easier than the twist offs, and the glass seems to be thicker than on the average beer bottle. I am paying about $9.00/doz for them and I considerit a good investment.

-phil

Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
plaidpaint
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most craft brews are bottled in pry offs. However, because of Canadian licensing fees, a lot of craft brewers don't export outside their own province, so you'll need to find your own local ones. Which is really a good thing

The only craft brews I tried in Vancouver were Red Racer IPA, which is excellent, but I only found it in cans, which doesn't help you. Granville Island is technically a craft brewery, I think, but I can't remember if they bottle in pry offs or not. Good Luck

Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Bear85
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'll just have to do some trial and error research - not the worst kind!

Maybe I'll try capping some of the screw top bottles I have, maybe on my 2nd or 3rd batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidpaint View Post
Most craft brews are bottled in pry offs.
Granville Island is technically a craft brewery, I think, but I can't remember if they bottle in pry offs or not. Good Luck
Yeah we picked up a crate of Granville Island on the same hunch, but no - screw tops

Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
howabouttheiris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have used 2l plastic soda bottles in Canada for bottling. (I would keg until full then typically bottle 1-2 extra) Never had an issue.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

You could look & see if you guys get Paulaner or Michelob amber bock up there. Those are pry off. I like the Paulaner bottles (i get the Salvator doppel bock,hefeweitzen),they have embossed busts of bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle. The Michelob bottles look like the Belgians,with the little ring around the shoulder.
That reminds me,I also found a brand of spiced Belgian Wit called "shock Top" that has pry off bottles as well. Funny label with an orange slice,cheap sunglasses,& wheat shieve Mohawk! 1st time for a Belgian Wit,let alone with spices. At least I get some more re-usable bottles!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Rowbear
Recipes 

I was in your same situation recently, I started drinking Brava (cheap) and Becks to get some bottles.

Quick Reply