New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > critique?? IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
Hess414
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default critique?? IPA

Can someone critique this? Give your thoughts... I'm a new brewer with limited equipment hence the small batch size. But give me your thoughts and expertise, I don't wanna brew a bad beer.

IPA

Recipe specifics:

Style: American IPA Batch size: 2.5 gal Boil volume: 1.0 gal OG: 1.071 FG: 1.018 Bitterness (IBU): 54.6 Color (SRM): 10.0 ABV: 7.0%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Light LME, 76.2% 1.00 lb Crystal 20L, 19.0% 0.25 lb Cane Sugar, 4.8%

Hops:

1.00 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet) 60 min, 14.6 IBU 1.00 oz Chinook (AA 11.5%, Pellet) 60 min, 25.4 IBU 1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) 20 min, 10.7 IBU 1.00 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet) 5 min, 2.9 IBU 1.00 oz Chinook (AA 11.5%, Pellet) 1 min, 1.1 IBU 1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) dry hop 1.00 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet) dry hop

Recipe Notes:

Follow hops as scheduled, dry hop after 7 days in fermenter.

ahhh only 4 more weeks to go...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Hess414
Recipes 

anybody?? please?? I need your HELP!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I think it looks like a decent recipe man. I would personally drop out the cane sugar and use a little more grain in it. Maybe add a specialty grain like honey malt or biscuit or something like that in place of the sugar. I think the hop schedule looks pretty good but I like chinook for a bittering hop so im biased. The amarillo and cascade dry hop is a great combo too. I think your on the right track.

Check out my stainless steel cooler mash tun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I did a ranger clone with sugar and liked it. Dryed it out good. Personally I like drier ipas with that bitter bite. I like the malty flavor masking the hops.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I'd recommend losing the two 60 minute additions. Just make it one Chinook addition at 1.5 oz. That'll help increase your ibus a bit. 50s ibu for a 1.070 beer is a little low. So take that ounce of Cascade at 60 and move it to either more of a dry hop or 0 minutes.
I made an IPA with Munich and loved it. While it's not really in an IPA style guidelines, I really liked it.
What yeast are you planning on using?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” -- Ben Franklin

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Hess414
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben the brewman View Post
I think it looks like a decent recipe man. I would personally drop out the cane sugar and use a little more grain in it. Maybe add a specialty grain like honey malt or biscuit or something like that in place of the sugar. I think the hop schedule looks pretty good but I like chinook for a bittering hop so im biased. The amarillo and cascade dry hop is a great combo too. I think your on the right track.
Awesome! honestly I was expecting someone to change everything! glad to see im starting to understand all this lol

would you cut out the sugar because it might make it to sweet tasting?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
Hess414
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdust41485 View Post
I'd recommend losing the two 60 minute additions. Just make it one Chinook addition at 1.5 oz. That'll help increase your ibus a bit. 50s ibu for a 1.070 beer is a little low. So take that ounce of Cascade at 60 and move it to either more of a dry hop or 0 minutes.
I made an IPA with Munich and loved it. While it's not really in an IPA style guidelines, I really liked it.
What yeast are you planning on using?
Im not sure on the yeast. I don't really know what the different yeast' are and how they change the final product... any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess414 View Post
Awesome! honestly I was expecting someone to change everything! glad to see im starting to understand all this lol

would you cut out the sugar because it might make it to sweet tasting?
Cane sugar is 100% fermentable.... meaning that it leaves nothing behind and adds nothing to taste. It won't make a beer sweet, it will make it dry and add to the ABV. Some styles use pure sugar (e.g. Belgians), but for an IPA you're better off adding a little more malt.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
Hess414
Recipes 

ok good idea on cutting out the sugar, Im not a big fan of the dryness. would you add more LME or a specialty grain?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess414 View Post
Im not sure on the yeast. I don't really know what the different yeast' are and how they change the final product... any suggestions?
Yeast selection can make or break a beer. It's not an exaggeration to say that yeast makes the beer (quite literally).

For a basic IPA, stick with something neutral. For dry yeasts, try Safale US-05. If you want a liquid yeast, White Labs 001 is a great all purpose yeast.

This thread has a good breakdown of dry vs. liquid yeast (as well as other topics worth reading): http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

Quick Reply