Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > creative beginner looking for tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Bandgeek11420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default creative beginner looking for tips

So I recently cooked up my first batch Saturday (1/26) night, the True Brew Porter kit, and I'm looking for some pointers. All seems well to me other than the temp has been around 62-66, and recently studying, found out the temp should be a little higher. Would it be a better idea to keep it at this temp?? Or maybe would it be possible to put some sort of additive in the wort and bring the temperature up??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Cooler is better, unless you're doing a Farmhouse Ale or some such thing.

Are you measuring the ambient air temp or the actual beer temp?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think you're going to be just fine on this beer. Test your gravity after a few weeks . .. the only reason I would consider getting the beer a bit warmer would be if you didn't hit your expected FG by more than 5 points . . . THEN I would consider gently swirling the beer to get some yeast back into suspension and warming the beer to around 70*.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Bandgeek11420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Cooler is better, unless you're doing a Farmhouse Ale or some such thing.

Are you measuring the ambient air temp or the actual beer temp?
That is the hydrometer reading

Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Bandgeek11420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfool101 View Post
I think you're going to be just fine on this beer. Test your gravity after a few weeks . .. the only reason I would consider getting the beer a bit warmer would be if you didn't hit your expected FG by more than 5 points . . . THEN I would consider gently swirling the beer to get some yeast back into suspension and warming the beer to around 70*.
That was kind of the idea I had from what I've read, but is there any flavor additives I could put in or is it best to leave alone since it's a kit??

Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
masterfool101
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandgeek11420 View Post
That was kind of the idea I had from what I've read, but is there any flavor additives I could put in or is it best to leave alone since it's a kit??
Given that it's your first time brewing, I wouldn't mess with the kit. Learn a bit about the process, and about different flavor profiles first, THEN start to experiment with additions.

I love experimentation .. . but it is not something you'll want to do much until you learn to get your process under control.

Also, if you've not done so already, I HIGHLY recommend reading Palmer's How to Brew.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 59

That temperature sounds fine for a porter. You don't want a lot of yeast esters or phenols in that style. Let the yeast stand aside so the malts can shine. You might consider a water bath with an aquarium heater if you want to ferment your next batch warmer.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...e-control.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Bandgeek11420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfool101 View Post

Given that it's your first time brewing, I wouldn't mess with the kit. Learn a bit about the process, and about different flavor profiles first, THEN start to experiment with additions.

I love experimentation .. . but it is not something you'll want to do much until you learn to get your process under control.

Also, if you've not done so already, I HIGHLY recommend reading Palmer's How to Brew.
I will definitely check that out. What I'm looking to focus a lot on is the stout and porter style brews.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
masterfool101
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandgeek11420 View Post
I will definitely check that out. What I'm looking to focus a lot on is the stout and porter style brews.
Palmer's book is more of a vast overview of brewing than a treatise on a specific style. But it will provide a good solid knowledge base on where to begin.

Keep in mind that as Revvy has posted on a few threads, books are like a snapshot in time . . . and that brewing techniques are likely to be adjusted as we learn more about the science (read a few threads on autolysis if you want to learn what I'm talking about). What this means is that not EVERYTHING in Palmer's book is always going to be applicable, but it will provide a great overview of techniques and the reason behind them.

I'm not too familiar with any books that focus solely on porters and stouts . . . but that doesn't mean there aren't good books out there. Still, my FIRST resource for looking up specific styles is usually the BJCP style guide. It will tell you what the common basis is for these styles . . . and the flavor notes you'll be looking for. After that, I like to come here and search the recipe's section . . . or talk to the owner of my LHBS and pick his brain.

Finally, I'm a member of my local AHA brew club . . . and they have a great number of people I've found to be vastly helpful in getting me to where I want to be.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Bandgeek11420
Recipes 

Also in the recipie it said to ferment for a week, should it be longer??

Quick Reply