The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Creating your own beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
boomtown25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Creating your own beer

This may be a stupid question, but I don't know the answer so I will ask. I have long dreamed of coming up with the perfect recipe of my own beer and it be good enough to market one day. I have very little experience with my own recipes, but the thought has occurred to me, "how do I know that I do not come up with the EXACT recipe of some other beer out there, and think I just created the perfect beer?" I realize this would be highly unlikely, but with limited types of hops and grains, there is still that slight chance.

PRIMARY 4: EMPTY
BOTTLED: Caribou Slobber 6/9/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Bavarian Hefweizen 6/15/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Warrior IPA 6/23/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Dunkelweizen PM 6/30/11
BOTTLED: Amarillo IPA 7/26/11
ON DECK: APA or Centennial Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's really not that unlikely - most great beers are not highly complex in terms of ingredients - two, three, maybe four types of malt, one or two types of hops, and a yeast. Of all the commercial breweries and homebrewers out there, I'm sure many recipes have been serendipitously copied without intent. There's only so many ways to make a brown ale for example.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I am recently experimenting with my own "partial mash" recipies. I found a few websites that have calculators that help you fill in the blanks to get your OG, FG, IBU's, SRM, etc... I did the HBT Google Search and found out 3 or 4 different links.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown25 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I don't know the answer so I will ask. I have long dreamed of coming up with the perfect recipe of my own beer and it be good enough to market one day. I have very little experience with my own recipes, but the thought has occurred to me, "how do I know that I do not come up with the EXACT recipe of some other beer out there, and think I just created the perfect beer?" I realize this would be highly unlikely, but with limited types of hops and grains, there is still that slight chance.
I wouldn't worry...but if you brew any of my recipes, I will be forced to take legal action. Just stay away from anything with pale malt or hops that begin with A-M.
Just kidding, BT - just brew what you like. You and them Rats still hating on Mondays?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

If you are brewing to a certain style... I would say it's likely you will be very close to some other commercial beer out there. The truth is though, I could give you the exact recipe for your favorite beer, and I bet you couldn't brew it to taste exactly like the commercial version. It may turn out close, but highly doubtful it would turn out exactly the same. So, if you are looking to create your "own" beer, I would look to a beer you really like and try something similar.

In the words of Picasso... "Bad artists copy. Great artists steal."

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

You're totally minimizing the biggest factor - process and equipment. Give 5 breweries the same recipe and you'll get 5 different beers. Process and the talents of those working in the brewery is where greatness is made.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
boomtown25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hatin Mondays like a religion. lovin all the comments on brew your own and throw care to this wind! Love the Picasso quote as well. maybe one of these days you will be drinking one of my own originals and say to yourself, "This is great! Sort of tastes like......."

PRIMARY 4: EMPTY
BOTTLED: Caribou Slobber 6/9/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Bavarian Hefweizen 6/15/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Warrior IPA 6/23/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Dunkelweizen PM 6/30/11
BOTTLED: Amarillo IPA 7/26/11
ON DECK: APA or Centennial Blonde

Quick Reply